Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,674   Posts: 1,481,878   Online: 1117

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Images
    >>>If the hot shoe was working before you sent it to them, I would let them know<<<

I don't know if it worked before because I've never used flash with that body. You're right, though. It would be nice to have it all working, but this meter issue seems so iffy that if they've got that working I almost feel like it's a "just give it to me and don't touch it" thing. If I need flash I use either the Hassy or a different Nikon body. The original problem seemed to start with some kind of gunk getting in the indexing ring, which prevented me from being able to move the aperture ring. At the same time I noticed my exposures were off and realized the meter wasn't working right. After I got the camera back, my favorite lens wouldn't work with it either, and I had not sent it down initially on the camera but had a cheaper lens attached. I sent the good lens back with the camera and they cleaned it up as a courtesy, which I really appreciate! I guess whatever gunk was messing up the camera also got into the lens.

If it ends up needing repairs (the camera) again anytime soon, I'll just get another. Actually, a very kind man *gave* me this camera a couple years ago. Still I don't like spending a chunk of money for something that isn't really fixed. Hopefully the meter is! If so, I'm satisfied.

Thanks for all your comments.

Shooter
    35mm
    If he can take the camera apart and but it together than fixing the flash should be easy.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The hot shoe connects to the flash switch by a wire that runs from the "hot" pin to the PC socket.
    It's completely mechanical.
    Does flash work at the PC? If it does.....continue on.
    There is a safety switch in the hot shoe which is operated by inserting the flash into the shoe. It's under the spring in the shoe which lifts off from the front. You can remove it with a pair of tweezers, lift the front edge up & push to the rear of the camera.
    Once you have the spring off, you should be able to see a small black pin on the wind side of the shoe, where spring was removed. If it's not there, the shoe won't work and to install it the top cover must be removed to install it.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Janet, if you do decide to look for a flash for your FM2, consider looking at a Vivitar 283 instead of the 285HV. It will do exactly the same thing, is slightly smaller [less top-heavy on the hot-shoe] has a sync lead just the same as the 285HV, but most importantly, can be picked up on eBay for £15-20 less than the 285HV.
    Hope it all works out for you. It sounds as if you've had a bit of a rough ride, with your repairer.
    All the best,
    Jack

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm in a similar boat. I recently sent my Konica FT-1 in for a CLA and for $106 total, I expected the C and L and A parts to be done equally well. Well, he replaced the light seals like an amatuer, including one spot where the foam was actually twisted, and he didn't clean the camera at all. He did properly calibrate the meter, which was what I sent it to him for, but sheesh... a guy with his reputation... I expected better.

Especially, as has been said, when you can get a good condition used one on eBay for less.

In your case though, I'd not let them get by with busting the hot shoe. Make them fix it if it was working beforehand. You can get a handheld meter to replace a wonky meter, but no flash means no flash.
    In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

Images
    I got my camera back and the meter works. Makes me happy!

(Don't ask about the flash. I really, really don't care. In fact, I don't even know if it worked before. I've never used it on this camera.)

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    [QUOTE=jgcull;759128]I got my camera back and the meter works. Makes me happy! ..... about the flash. I really, really don't care.[QUOTE]

I'm really pleased for you, that you got your camera back Janet. Use it for a while & enjoy having the metering operating correctly. [I've got an FM2n - great camera] Maybe sometime in the future, when the memory of recent days has dissipated into a wry smile, consider getting the hot-shoe fixed. Although with a sync lead and a good stand, sometimes a remote flash is a better proposition in a set-up situation. No hot-shoe restricts you though, when you want fill-flash on the spur of the moment.

Regards,
    Jack

Shooter
    35mm
    I think the meter problem should be circuitry, quite sure about this. I had a similar problem with FM2. Are you the first owner?
    Did you use the flash on this body before you sent it to the repair shop the very first time?
    The fact that they had trouble fixing the meter puzzles me, it's quite easy to fix a meter on a FM/FM2.
    If the circuitry is indeed the culprit then the camera might have been in contact with water (if salty water things will only get worse with time as salt is going to attack further metallic parts, contacts, etc).
    Gee, I hope it's not that.
    Good luck!

Images
    88, no, I am not the first owner. Actually, it was given to me. No water problems that I know of. I've had it a couple years I think. It's working well now. Thanks for commenting. I've never used the flash, though knowing who it came from I'd assume it worked before.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin