Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,499   Posts: 1,543,226   Online: 1074

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Images

FM2 repairs - how tricky is this to fix?

The indexing ring was evidently gunked up and wouldn't turn. I could tell from the last couple rolls of film the meter also wasn't working properly. I sent it off for repairs and when I spoke with the technician he said he was having trouble getting the meter to work right. It was supposed to be fixed, and they sent it back to me.

The meter isn't working, so I've sent it back to them again. This is looking troubling to me. I've probably paid about what it would've cost to buy one 2nd hand, but I paid for the repair instead.

Have any of you had similar issues? I'm getting a bit nervous about this, and hoping I've not just spent money on something that's not going to be right for the long term.

Thanks.

Janet

Images
    bump

I called them today and they're still working on it. The meter isn't fixed yet, but they hope they can fix it. ???

Shooter
    35mm
    What did they say was wrong with the meter?

Images
    They didn't say, but when I point it into bright light the needle doesn't move. When they had it the first time I was told he was having trouble getting it to keep working. Then they said it was fixed, and returned it to me but it still wasn't working. I sent it back again. I called yesterday and all he said is that "he's working on it". The first thing I noticed wrong was that the indexing ring was stuck. I couldn't easily (or really at all) turn the aperture ring. I suspected the meter also wasn't working right because I'd had 2 rolls of poorly exposed film.

I wish I'd known the fix was going to be complicated. For what I've paid I could have bought a used body, but here we are. Hopefully it *can* be fixed.

Janet

Shooter
    35mm
    There is no needle in the FM2

Shooter
    35mm
    I would be curious to know what they find is wrong with the meter; the cells no longer working; a circuitry problem, etc? Is this a repair shop you have used in the past?

p.s. Chan is right, the FM2 has no needle; it has red LED symblos that light up in the right-hand side of the viewfinder.

Images
    Um... maybe it's a + and - sign? I think I mixed it up with the Nikon FG. Anyway, it isn't working. Yes, I've used these people before. In fact, I send it home to Florida rather than going down the road to Charlotte because I've used them for a long time.

Images
    I got the word this afternoon that the meter is working, but now the flash isn't. I told him it doesn't matter about the flash. I never use flash with that camera, so if the meter is working that's good enough for me. I hope the meter is working correctly. ~sigh~ I'm sort of sorry I spent the money to have it fixed now. Maybe it will be alright.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by jgcull View Post
    I got the word this afternoon that the meter is working, but now the flash isn't. I told him it doesn't matter about the flash. I never use flash with that camera, so if the meter is working that's good enough for me. I hope the meter is working correctly. ~sigh~ I'm sort of sorry I spent the money to have it fixed now. Maybe it will be alright.
    I'm no camera repair expert, but my guess is that there was something wrong with the circuitry in the viewfinder (between the hot shoe and the tiny circuit boards in the viewfinder that control the meter display). You might be able to use a flash if you connect it with a small cord to the PC socket. A flash like the Vivitar 285HV comes with a small PC cable that connects to the camera. Many flashes have similar cables.

On another note, shouldn't the camera repair shop be giving you a completely repaired camera? If the hot shoe was working before you sent it to them, I would let them know that I would expect them to fix it; especially if you have spent a considerable amount of money on it!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I went through sort of the same thing with my F80. Sent it to Nikon for repairs and a clean-up, and the cost was more than a good one on ebay. However, I'm glad I did it. I know it's in good shape now, and wouldn't know that about strange cameras I've never seen.
    If I had been present at the creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better arrangement of the Universe.
    Alfonso the Wise, 1221-1284

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin