Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,536   Posts: 1,572,720   Online: 762

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have an Olympus 35SP that I bought at a car-boot sale recently. It has become my 1st repair project and i have taken the top off and cleaned out the viewfinder, and also replaced all the light seals - I've impressed myself at how successful this has been!!

My only problem is that there is a fair amount of fungus in the lens. I dont feel confident enough in taking the lens off and apart to clean it myself, so was wondering if anyone could recommend a reliable (and cheap!!) camera repairer in the UK and also an idea of the possible cost. I have done some enquiries, all of which have quoted me a standard price for taking on the job, they will then get back to me with the full cost for the job once they have had a look. Obviously I would want to have a good idea of the full cost, before committing to pay the initial one (still £40 ish).

Can anyone help?

ta!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Leon, did you ever find a good lens servicer in the UK? I need one myself to clean out dust between the elements of my 127mm Ektar on a Speed Graphic.
    http://www.marktweedie.co.uk

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Leon I have used a company in Newcastle for many years and have found them reliable and reasonable in price too. They are Mobile Photo based in Newcastle, telephone 0191 261 7509. They will call you back to give you the cost before they do the job and do not charge for that service.
    "Digital circuits are made from analogue parts"
    Fourtune Cookie-Brooklyn May 2006

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Leon

You could try Protech in Uckfield, E. Sussex. They have an excellent reputation.

http://www.protechrepairs.co.uk/

Cheers, Julian

Shooter
    35mm
    Michael Spencer (Chesterfield) on 01246 250767 for a quote...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    thnaks for the tips guys - I posted this back in 2003! I htink I did the cleaning myself in the end ... the camera is long gone and sold I'll bear the info in mind if I do need some repairs done though

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Leon, I'm glad to have kick this thread into some life!

Does anyone have comments about the practicalities of taking apart a lens for DIY cleaning? I would hesitate to do it on a new and expensive lens but I'm tempted to have a go at my old Ektar myself having had one quote for £80 (probably more than the lens is worth!)
    http://www.marktweedie.co.uk

Shooter
    Holga
    I have cleaned up Zeiss Ikon Nettar lens but they are three elements and very simple at that.

Out of interest are any of these guys any good at vintage cameras, I have a Zeiss Super Ikonta where the film number dial is no longer working and I would like to get the rangefinder calibrated.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by marktweedie
    Leon, I'm glad to have kick this thread into some life!

Does anyone have comments about the practicalities of taking apart a lens for DIY cleaning? I would hesitate to do it on a new and expensive lens but I'm tempted to have a go at my old Ektar myself having had one quote for £80 (probably more than the lens is worth!)
    Lets put it this way Mark, the more you do the better you get at it; allegedly.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin