Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,248   Posts: 1,660,292   Online: 1026

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nikon primes.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    The 24mm f2.8 AI series is one of the best all around lenses ever made by anyone. When it first came out in the late 1960's every PJ jumped on the bandwagon including me. I still use one to this day.
    Any of the 50mm f2 will do.
    I opted for the 135mm 2.8 over the 105mm 2.5 because of the retractable fixed lens hood and still use one.
    Other than that its on to the tele lenses where I would purchase the ED series of which I have 300, 400 and lastly the 500 f8 mirror. The 500 f5 is simply to big and heavy and I only used it once to shoot a frontpage of back lit ice boats.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There are 2 kinds of photographers:

Those who consider the 50mm their "normal" lens and those who consider the 35mm as a "normal".

I belong to the second, so here is my list (my experience of especially good Nikkors):

A 20mm (don't have a 20mm Nikkor myself, ask around which suits your purposes best).

24mm f/2.8 35mm f/2.0 105mm f/2.5 200mm f/4.0 (AI or AIS - one of Nikons most undderrated lenses)
    With these 5 lenses you have a really complete and good set-up to which you could add:

Micro-Nikkor 55mm f/2.8 (excellent).

The 300mm f/4.5 is so-so (lots of variation, from poor to decent), later, expensive f/4.0 should be good.

400mm f/5.6 supposed to be superb (don't have one myself).
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks all for posting a reply.
    I did pick up a 55 micro-nikkor 2.8.Great walk about lens.My 100mm 2.8 series E (from fellow member) works great.The 28mm 3.5 is very nice.A tad slow ,but for $5.00 it was a steal.
    I've made up a list,checked it twice,now where's the dude in the red suit?
    I only wish that our Canadian dollar was worth more.Almost impossible to buy from the states.Oh well,time to get happy for what I do have.

Shooter
    35mm
    I agree with other posters here that the 200mm f/4 Nikkor is a great lens, and usually available for less than US$100. There is also an expensive 200mm micro that is supposed to be very good, but I wouldn't know having never used it...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Currently my favorite Nikon primes? 28mm F/2 AIS, 50mm F/1.2 AIS and 105mm F/2.5 AIS. All three are fantastic on my FM3A, F100, D700 and D3.

I also have the Carl Zeiss ZF 35/2 and 85/1.4...those are incredible.
    "I'm the freak that shoots film. God bless the freaks!" ~ Mainecoonmaniac ~

Shooter
    Large Format
    I too use 35mm for available light hand held photographs. So, I wanted the fastest lenses I could find. They include 24 f2.8, 35 f2.0, 50 f1.2, 55 f2.8 Micro, 85 f1.4, 105 f1.8 and a 180 f2.8. I may not need all the speed to capture the image on film, but the extra lens speed sure makes it easier to focus in low light situations.

The 85 f1.4 is always mounted to one of my FM3As. It is by far my favorite lens. Some of my favorite subjects are my friend's kids. We have a lake house and one of the best photo opportunities is to take the kids down to the dock (before the sun clears the horizon), hand the kids a bowl of dog food, and grab the camera while capturing the kids expressions as they "feed the fish." The kids have a wonderful time and I wind up with some "Kodak Moments" to present the parents come Xmas time.
    Last edited by jgjbowen; 02-08-2009 at 07:29 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: splellin'
    John Bowen

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    Currently my favorite Nikon primes? 28mm F/2 AIS, 50mm F/1.2 AIS and 105mm F/2.5 AIS.
    Add the 180mm F/2.8 ED AIS and you have my lens set.
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Now that so many good replies have been posted, it's not so bad to go off-topic, i think. So here goes:

"Primes" - short for primaries - are lenses that are used with an attachment lens (secondaries) like wide angle converters, anamorphotic converters, close-up diopters, and such.

It is not (!) the correct term for fixed focal length lens. Not the opposite of zoom (zooms can be primes too).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have the 180/2.8 ED, and I like it. Like... maybe even like a lot... but not love.

What I really love among the long primes: the mamiya m645 200/2.8 apo. Works very well on the nikons with a little $20 adapter. I use it with the F100 and some other unmentionable Nikon bodies. It is an amazing lens, totally superb in every respect, and not much bigger than a 35mm counterpart would be. The only downside to using it is that it is off-white in colour, so you run the risk of being identified as a Canon user.

Honestly the 180 just sits on a shelf now that I dual-purpose my 200/2.8.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Q.G. View Post
    It is not (!) the correct term for fixed focal length lens. Not the opposite of zoom (zooms can be primes too).
    But it is in common usage in the Photographic community and has been so for at least thirty years.
    Expletive Deleted!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin