Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,084   Posts: 1,612,248   Online: 939

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good question, BetterSense;

This exact question is what influenced me most strongly in my selection of lenses when I was beginning with an SLR and interchangeable lenses. In looking through my manufacturer's catalog (Minolta) I did notice that most of the lenses in the common range had at least one model that accepted 55 mm diameter screw-in filters. On that basis, I selected my first "system." It ran; 28 mm, 35 mm, 58 mm, 100 mm, 200 mm, and 300 mm, all with a 55 mm diameter filter thread. Yes, in the longer focal lengths I had to accept the smaller aperture, but they were also cheaper. I chose to look at the whole system and tried for maximum compatibility and utilization of space in the carrying case. There is more than one way to approach the filter question.
    Enjoy;

Ralph Javins, Latte Land, Washington

When they ask you; "How many Mega Pixels you got in your camera?"
    just tell them; "I use activated silver bromide crystals tor my image storage media."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I sorta try to pick a big one and adapt, but my system keeps changing! I had a small assortment in the 52 -58 mm range. But then I got the Bronica which takes 67 mm; except for the 1:1 macro which I didn't intially plan to buy that takes 72mm. As I have an EF L-series used on something I can't talk about that takes 77mm, I figured I'd buy 77s and an adapter. Alas, in attempting that I found an ePrey deal on an assortment of 72mm stuff so I bought 'em at a ridiculously low price. I am slowly accumulating some adapter rings to further confuse myself.

Getting the largest possible has two hazards; 1) interference with controls - or even the viewfinder on a RF if the filter is way oversize, and 2) the big stuff gets pretty pricey. If you're just getting started and don't have ambitions to quickly get larger lenses it could be less painful to get a modest sized set to cover immediate needs. I guess I just don't go out and shoot enough, but I also find I don't grab my green or orange filters as often as a yellow or red so one might also pick them up one at a time.

Be it also noted that d*git@l types seldom would use the filters for black and white photography, so with that, and the prevalence of color film use prior to the digi stuff, there are probably way fewer such filters in circulation.

DaveT

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin