Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,569   Posts: 1,545,463   Online: 1152

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

Best size filter to get for max compatibility

I don't have any lens filters now, but I understand that I can buy large ones and use $5 step-up rings on my smaller-threaded cameras. I would like to do this for my present cameras, but perhaps I should go even bigger in case I get other cameras or lenses in the future. What do you think the best size filters to get so that I'm covered for the most common lenses? I'm most likely to stick with Pentax in the near future. Both my current lenses are 49mm threads; are all Pentax lenses 49mm?

Right now I have two Pentax-A, one Nikon AF 50mm/1.4, and a Canon FD 50mm/1.8.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you buy used the small common sizes aren't much more then step up rings. Using really big filters with step rings means carrying big filters and step up rings all the time.

I'd look for used

49mm
    58mm
    68mm
    82mm

filters. Then use step rings in between those sizes. With care the 68mm and smaller shouldn't be that expensive.

Shooter
    35mm
    I've had no luck finding used filters so I was going to go ahead and start looking for cheap new ones. Mostly what I need is a 49mm yellow, but most of the used filters I see are being sold with a bunch of other stuff I don't want.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Strange. Ebay used to be full of yellows and reds. Plus sets in the main sizes.

Shooter
    35mm
    Ah, perhaps. I'm on a fast from popular internet auction sites at the moment due to personality conflicts. Although I might have to make an exception for this.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Have you looked at Cokin or similar filter systems?

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    I don't have any lens filters now, but I understand that I can buy large ones and use $5 step-up rings on my smaller-threaded cameras. I would like to do this for my present cameras, but perhaps I should go even bigger in case I get other cameras or lenses in the future. What do you think the best size filters to get so that I'm covered for the most common lenses? I'm most likely to stick with Pentax in the near future. Both my current lenses are 49mm threads; are all Pentax lenses 49mm?

Right now I have two Pentax-A, one Nikon AF 50mm/1.4, and a Canon FD 50mm/1.8.
    By and large Pentax lenses from 28 to 135 mm take 49 mm filters, the 24 and 200 mm that I have need 52, the 300 and (IIRC) 20 mm that I used to have needed 67.

A vast number of Nikon 35 mm lenses (and LF lenses) use 52 mm. To try to curb the ridiculous number of filters that I have, I tried to standardise on 52 mm and have 40.5 -> 52 and 46 -> 52 stepping rings. Might work for you, too.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Zentena View Post
    Strange. Ebay used to be full of yellows and reds. Plus sets in the main sizes.
    It's been like that for some weeks. You may find a page but nothing interesting, and if you want an exact size (I search 49mm) not many interesting listings.
    Heck, even a good big store here didn't have listed yellow or red filters; Though I seen blues and greens when I went there last time a month ago.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Try(as always) KEH.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I've been through various systems, and I use various systems, but for glass screw in filters, I've settled on 67mm, which covers a good chunk of what I use. I have some lenses that are larger, and for those I tend to use 4" square filters, and I also have a pretty large collection of 3" square filters. While it seems to make sense to go by the largest filter size you have and use step-up rings for everything else, and that's probably a good idea at your stage, if you've got a really wide range of lenses for different cameras, you don't want to be carrying enormous filters around for every lens, and on a small camera, a large filter can get in the way of the camera controls. I've also got sets of small filters for when I want to be more compact.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin