Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,493   Posts: 1,571,392   Online: 1071

Shooter
    35mm

Nikon SB-28 with ME Super

I have a Nikon SB-28 flash and it works great with my Pentax Program Plus, and gives great results on Auto mode. I just bought an ugly-condition ME Super and it fails to fire the flash. This surprises me. I know my Canon AT-1 also fails to work with this flash, but I expected it to work since my other Pentax did. Is there something different between the two Pentaxen or is the ME Super broken? I already found that the timer doesn't work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If the flash is working on other Pentax camera(s) I would suspect your camera is at fault.
    The hot shoe should close the circuit very shortly between the camera body and the center "dot", check it with a ohm-meter, preferably those that make noise since the time is so short.
    Also try cleaning the hot shoe with an eraser first.

Anyhow, check here for full dissasembly of the MESuper
    http://www.mypentax.com/PentaxMeSuper.html
    Mama took my APX away.....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Does it work through the PC contact? If it does then the shoe contact isn't good.
    As titrosol says, clean the contact in the center. I would also clean the edge of the hot shoe because that's the ground of the flash.
    If it's still not working, there's a safety switch on both cameras. You can remove the spring by lifting the front edge & moving it to the rear of the camera. If you look under the right hand edge of the hot shoe, there should be an insulated(plastic) pin visible. If it's missing you need one. If it's there it's very possible the switch is dirty or the contact is loose.
    On the Pentax when you look under spring there are four screws. If they're loose that could cause the problem. If not you may be able to see the safety switch contact under the shoe to clean it. Canon should be similar.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    35mm
    I don't know how to use the PC contact...don't I need a special cord? I've only ever used the hotshoe.

Shooter
    35mm
    They didn't look dirty, but apparently there was enough oxidation on the hot shoe contacts that it was insulating. I was able to scrape them clean and now the camera fines my Nikon flash just fine. The only problem is how giant this flash is...I'm pretty sure it weighs more than the poor ME Super. I would like to buy a much smaller and lighter automatic flash unit, even if it was slow, that will work with my pentax cameras, but I'm not sure what to get.

I also just picked up two Vivitar Zoom Thyristor flashes, but either I'm not doing something right, or they are both perfectly broken. I think it's weird that both would be broken, but nothing happens when I put new batteries in them.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Look for a Pentax AF-200T or 280T. The 200T is smaller than the Nikon flash, but does TTL flash with Pentax bodies that are so equipped. The 280T is about the same as the Nikon SB-28, size-wise, but will work properly with the Pentax body. I've used Nikon flashes with Pentax bodies, and they do work, but you want to make sure that the flash is turned off when you mount or dismount it, since the hot shoe's pin configuration is different than what Nikon's configuration is.

-J
    APUG: F2AS x2, F, FM2n, Nikomat FTn, FT2
    DPUG: D200
    Nikkors: 18-70/3.5-4.5G AF-S DX (f/D200), 20/3.5 UD, 24/2.8 AI, 50/2 AI, 50/2 K, 50/1.4 AI, 55/3.5 Micro PC, 55/2.8 Micro AIS, 85/1.8 K, 105/2.5 K, 135/3.5 QC

My FB - My flickr stream
    My SmugMug

Shooter
    35mm
    I've used Nikon flashes with Pentax bodies, and they do work, but you want to make sure that the flash is turned off when you mount or dismount it, since the hot shoe's pin configuration is different than what Nikon's configuration is.
    I'm not sure I understand. Is it that the Pentax body will short the Nikon flash's pins during assembly?

I have a AF200T with a broken bottom, so it won't mount on the camera. It's better than the Nikon but still big. I've seen really small flashes before somewhere..I can't remember what camera it was for but it was really compact...maybe it was for modern DSLR cameras or compact film cameras. Something like this AF160 is getting close to what I'm thinking of, but I don't know if it's any good. I'll have to find the book for it online. I'm not sure if any of my Pentaxen do TTL flash anyway--ME, ME Super, and Program Plus.

http://www.keh.com/OnLineStore/Produ...BCL=&GBC=&GCC=
    Last edited by BetterSense; 02-10-2009 at 01:56 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You are right, the ME/Super have a flash-confirmation light but that is it.
    The ProgramPlus, I'm not sure.... check in the manual
    (copy @pentax-manuals.com)

Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    I'm not sure if any of my Pentax do TTL flash anyway--ME, ME Super, and Program Plus.
    Mama took my APX away.....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've got a Pentax AF160Sa you could have for $5 + shipping. It has a program, manual and off position and is nice and tiny.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin