Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,960   Posts: 1,523,093   Online: 980

Shooter
    Multi Format

Hi folks, and other matters.

Apparently I'm not yet a fully fledged subscriber, but here I am (thankfully) at last!

I have been "lurking for some time, now I'll be able to participate -at last.

I have been itching to ask for some information from other subscribers and to share my interest in "veteran" 35mm cameras.

First up: has anyone any information on an "Astron MC 80-250mm 'Macro'" zoom lens.

I found this lens in a "well used" but functional condition at a local charity shop in Pentax K-mount for Aus$5-00.

I have already put a roll of Fuji Superia ISO 400 past it and have been more than satisfied with the result, especially for $5-00, but would appreciate any info.

As time permits, I intend to participate more.

So long for now.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Hi and welcome, Galah. If there was a problem with the process of subscribing, may I suggest that you send a PM to the man in charge, Sean, and he will sort you out (just put "Sean" in the recipient field).

Where in Australia are you by the way?

Sorry I don't know much about the Astron lens but I'm sure you'll get some useful help here.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the welcome, Kevin. I'm out of Adelaide (a Crow-Eater :-)). I have about a dozen 35mm film cameras (ranging from a Voigtlander Vito II to a Minolta 5000si and a Canon EOS 50), the most recently acquired being a pair of Olympus Trip 35s (an earlier and a later edition), both of which work very well indeed: no batteries, selenium cell metering, purely automatic function with "zone" focusing (my bug-bear, as I often forget to reset the focus).

The Olympus Trip 35s ($8-00 each) are in excellent aesthetic and working order, and the lenses are surprisingly sharp (comparable to if not better than my -much more expensive- Canon lenses)(zone-focussing and all). They have an unusual, very angular aperture (only two V-shaped blades which slide across each other to vary the size of the opening), which appears to be very effective and -so far- seems to produce quite a good "bokeh". There are only two shutter speeds (1/40 and 1/200 sec) and the aperture ranges from f/2.8 to f/22. The automatic exposures (even contra-jour) are amazing.

These cameras are solid and well made (all metal and glass), easy to operate, and feel good in the hands. One would almost need nothing else :-)

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Hello and welcome! Looking forward to hearing about your experiences. I am not familiar with your cameras and they sound fascinating.
    Jeff M

M3, M5, CLE, Minolta XE7, Minolta Maxxum 9, Minolta Maxxum 9000, Nikon F3HP, etc., etc.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome to apug from the cold north. I have an Oly trip 35. Heck of a camera. The images taken with it are second to none.
    Rick Jason.
    "I'm still developing"

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Welcome, Galah, from near Washington, DC.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Howdy, Galah. Luke from Minneapolis. Excited to learn more about your find.
    Luke

To create one's own world in any of the arts takes courage.

Georgia O'Keefe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome. I hope that your heat wave is over.
    Charles Hohenstein

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin