Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,740   Posts: 1,515,555   Online: 1025

Page 13 of 50 FirstFirst ... 37891011121314151617181923 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Rose View Post
    I just picked up a minty Olympus XA with flash for $15! Now I have two, but the other one the meter needle doesn't work very well. Still has bang on exposures though. I guess I will keep both of them and use one for parts if I have to.
    Great little camera for $15. I have one with me at all times. Nice find!

Marc

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    At a boot sale today, 100 sheets of Ilford Multigrade RC Glossy, 12" x 16" in two un-opened 50 sheet boxes for £1.00

Perhaps a bit old and may be a bit foggy but at £0.01 a sheet it was a risk I was prepared to take!

Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Voightlaender Vitomatic II, a nice little rangefinder.

Shooter
    35mm
    A beautiful Nikkormat FTn with attached 55mm Micro Nikkor f/3.5 lens for a whopping $20. I sold it a few years ago when I stupidly got rid of all my film SLRs. Well, I'm back into them with a vengeance, albeit without that sweet Nikkormat and that splendid lens - one of the greatest primes ever made, imho. I'm not crying too hard, though, for I did get a very nice Canon T90 with 50mm 1.8 for $20. Odd thing about that is it was sitting right next to a nice Yashica stop-down SLR that they wanted $30 for. The seller had no idea the T90 was worth 10 times their asking price and I did not volunteer the information. I reached for my wallet so quickly that I almost threw my arm outta joint. SO TOO WOULD YOU!

Shooter
    35mm
    My fried Alec is a watch and vintage radio collector. A couple years ago he was visited a local thrift store and grabbed a camera bag out of a cart one of the employees was using to carry stock from the back room to the sales floor. Inside the bag was a Leica M2 with the collapsible 35mm lens. The camera and lens were in exceptionally fine condition. He bought it for $4.95!

He called me and told me about his find and I really thought he was trying to pull a joke on me. No one in their right mind would sell a Leica for $5 but they did. I saw the camera and the bag and his receipt for $4.95. Within a week he had sold the camera and lens to a dealer for $600 who, I'm sure, made a tidy profit reselling it.

I have gone into that same thrift probably a hundred times and have never found a single item worth buying. It's almost always just recycled clothing and old appliances. But Alec! He once bought a genuine Philip Patek (sp?) watch in that same store for $10! He made a tidy profit from that one, too.

Lucky guy, that Alec.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by kivis View Post
    A mint Leica IIIa (Circa 1936) and matching 50mm/f2 lens for $15.
    One of the greatest photographic instruments ever. I'm impressed. I should get you in touch with my friend Alec (see above message)
    Last edited by djohnfot; 07-04-2009 at 01:03 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by DAM1970 View Post
    I have found Olympus XA and XA2 at yard sales, one was $5 and one was $3 - both with cases and flash. That's the best I've been able to do.
    Good find! They're both fine cameras, especially the XA, which is one of the greatest inexpensive cameras of all time!

Shooter
    35mm
    Minolta Freedom Tele for $1. I cobbled a battery from a pair of CR123's, and everything seems to be working. Switches between 38mm/2.8 and 80mm/5.6. These were also sold as Leica AF-C1's, so it must have a pretty good lens.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    At a flea market: Chinon CM-4s (PK) with 50 1.9, 28 2.8 and 135 2.8 for $20. All super clean and working perfectly.
    I was thinking of reselling it to a basic photo student come Fall, adding whatever a new set of batteries and assurance that it will get them through the semester is worth. Unfortunately it will need some cosmetic surgery first. A previous owner had engraved his name and SS# into the base. I'm not comfortable letting it back into the wild like that.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by djohnfot View Post
    My fried Alec is a watch and vintage radio collector. A couple years ago he was visited a local thrift store and grabbed a camera bag out of a cart one of the employees was using to carry stock from the back room to the sales floor. Inside the bag was a Leica M2 with the collapsible 35mm lens. The camera and lens were in exceptionally fine condition. He bought it for $4.95!

He called me and told me about his find and I really thought he was trying to pull a joke on me. No one in their right mind would sell a Leica for $5 but they did. I saw the camera and the bag and his receipt for $4.95. Within a week he had sold the camera and lens to a dealer for $600 who, I'm sure, made a tidy profit reselling it.

I have gone into that same thrift probably a hundred times and have never found a single item worth buying. It's almost always just recycled clothing and old appliances. But Alec! He once bought a genuine Philip Patek (sp?) watch in that same store for $10! He made a tidy profit from that one, too.

Lucky guy, that Alec.

And some people say that lightning doesn't strike twice in the same place!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin