Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,337   Posts: 1,537,598   Online: 1109

Page 14 of 50 FirstFirst ... 489101112131415161718192024 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by djohnfot View Post
    A beautiful Nikkormat FTn with attached 55mm Micro Nikkor f/3.5 lens for a whopping $20. I sold it a few years ago when I stupidly got rid of all my film SLRs. Well, I'm back into them with a vengeance, albeit without that sweet Nikkormat and that splendid lens - one of the greatest primes ever made, imho. I'm not crying too hard, though, for I did get a very nice Canon T90 with 50mm 1.8 for $20. Odd thing about that is it was sitting right next to a nice Yashica stop-down SLR that they wanted $30 for. The seller had no idea the T90 was worth 10 times their asking price and I did not volunteer the information. I reached for my wallet so quickly that I almost threw my arm outta joint. SO TOO WOULD YOU!
    You are one very lucky person! I am now looking for a T90 at a reasonable price and would have also reached for my wallet just as fast!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Not quite a Garage Sale, but locally on Craigslist, I picked up a Nikon N80 with the 28-100mm G Nikkor for $25.00, fully functional, I guess she thought film was dead. Still had the original receipt in the box for $575.00.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mike c View Post
    At the county land fill somebody had thrown out many boxes of older 35mm cameras and lenes. I started grabing as much as I could before the dosezer plowed them under ,ended up with a Regula RM,Kodak Signet 40,two small selinim cell lite meter(both work),a 58mm 1.4 mc Rokkor PF Minolta lens (aperture blades are sluggish) misc. camera straps and stuff. Alot more stuff there but they chased me off as your not suppose to salvage any thing. Keep thinking that there was more treasure there but could not get to it.

mike c.
    Isn't it kind of twisted that one isn't allowed to salvage anything that they're going to just roll over with the bulldozer anyway? I understand if they had their own salvage crew - but they're literally crushing everything left on the ground.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by djohnfot View Post
    My fried Alec is a watch and vintage radio collector. A couple years ago he was visited a local thrift store and grabbed a camera bag out of a cart one of the employees was using to carry stock from the back room to the sales floor. Inside the bag was a Leica M2 with the collapsible 35mm lens. The camera and lens were in exceptionally fine condition. He bought it for $4.95!

He called me and told me about his find and I really thought he was trying to pull a joke on me. No one in their right mind would sell a Leica for $5 but they did. I saw the camera and the bag and his receipt for $4.95. Within a week he had sold the camera and lens to a dealer for $600 who, I'm sure, made a tidy profit reselling it.

I have gone into that same thrift probably a hundred times and have never found a single item worth buying. It's almost always just recycled clothing and old appliances. But Alec! He once bought a genuine Philip Patek (sp?) watch in that same store for $10! He made a tidy profit from that one, too.

Lucky guy, that Alec.
    BTW, a genuine Patek Philippe watch for $10 is an even better deal than a Leica M2 with a 35mm Leica lens for $4.95. I personally buy the highest quality knock-offs of those watches, in Asia, but the real ones sell for between $8-20K new, and used ones are still worth several thousand.

BTW, which store is this, and where is it located?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Last fall I picked up an XA2, with flash, manual and original receipt for $5.00. Great little camera - fits in my pocket. I've seen other equipment relatively cheap, but I've already got more cameras than I can carry so I let them go.
    Louis
    (Paladin1420)

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I found a mint Power Winder F for my Canon F1 this week at the junk shop for 3000 yen. I also found a Canoscan 2400 film scanner (scans negatives from 35mm to 4x5) for 100 yen ($1), and it actually works.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Minolta SRT-201 with rokkor 50 for $10
    Mama took my APX away.....

Shooter
    35mm
    Not a garage sale - just a good deal.
    I was trying to buy a Leica IIIc Body several months ago and had all but given up. I placed a bid on a camera Youxin Yin was selling and never figured I'd win. This was last of several Leicas he was selling and it flew under the radar and I bought it for $107.50. Camera has some light usage marks. The Shark skin type Vulcanite is original and in good shape. Camera was CLA’d by Youxin Yin and the viewfinder and rangefinder are clean and clear. It has a new beam splitter and the rangefinder double image has very good contrast. Shutter curtains are new. The camera works smoothly and included a take up spool. It looks better than the pictures:

Shooter
    35mm

6 German Classics

I recently made an embarrasingly amazing score at a small yard sale in rural NJ. Glancing through the tables filled with 1980s clothing and bad ceramic dinnerware I noticed a group of brown naugahyde and black leather cases hidden beneath a large macrame weaving of a cat. I lifted the weaving and began to inspect...3 Voigtlanders and 3 Rolleis! each with a small orange sticker that said $10. I told the homeowner that I was interested in the cameras, it was the end of the day and he was trying to sell off as much of the remaining goods as possible. He told me "$40 and you can take em' all home with you." Feeling a pang of guilt, I asked "are you sure? some of these are quite collectible." To which he replied "I have a digital camera!"

The final tally:

Rolleicord III
    Rollei 35S
    Rollei A26
    Voigtlander Vitomatic
    Voigtlander Vito II
    Voigtlander Vitessa (with Ultron 1:2)

All in mint cosmetic and mechanical condition....$40!!!

Shooter
    35mm
    A friend's grandmother died and he got her Contax II in the will. He's no sentimentalist nor photographer, so swapped the camera with me for a pack of 10 Marlboro lights.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin