Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,001   Posts: 1,524,399   Online: 999

Page 16 of 50 FirstFirst ... 61011121314151617181920212226 ... LastLast
    bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This thread inspired me to look more closely at the thrift store I regularly frequent. There was the usual junk, but two things of interest: a Nikon L135 ($5) and an Olympus XA2 ($10). The XA2 I know to be a decent little camera, but they're all over eBay and pretty easy to find. Here, however, I have the advantage of seeing it and touching it before buying it. This would be my first serious film camera. Any idea what I should look for in general, and with this camera in particular, before putting money down?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by bvy View Post
    This thread inspired me to look more closely at the thrift store I regularly frequent. There was the usual junk, but two things of interest: a Nikon L135 ($5) and an Olympus XA2 ($10). The XA2 I know to be a decent little camera, but they're all over eBay and pretty easy to find. Here, however, I have the advantage of seeing it and touching it before buying it. This would be my first serious film camera. Any idea what I should look for in general, and with this camera in particular, before putting money down?
    I'm not too familiar with the Nikon 35mm compact camera line up, but I think that the L135 was first introduced in 1984. I believe that it had a 35mm 3.5 lens and was many considered it to be of better build quality than compact cameras of other manufacturers at the time. I'm sure you can still get fantastic results with it today!

Shooter
    35mm
    Geez, I really should post here more often.

Anywho, while at an antique store here in Shelton, I stumbled upon a polarizer with 52mm threads. I knew my camera had 55mm thread lenses (all but two) and thought this was a neat find. Was a Tiffen linear polarizer that still had its box and case.

Seeing as it had no pricetag, I walked up to the counter and asked what they wanted. They didn't know much about it, so I told them what it was.

Also had an adapter ring for smaller filters (I dunno what size it was, honestly forgot and it's out in my car right now, in the camera case).

After talking and explaining to them what it was, they said "A dollar fitty do?"

I ended up walking out with it, but had to wait a week to use it. That night, I bought a stepdown ring to use on all of my 55mm filter threaded lenses, and received it a week later.

So far, I've yet to develop the rolls of film I've taken with it, but I can't wait to see the results.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    APUG is by far one of the best photography forums that I have found. Lotsa great people here! Anywho-sle.
    My great Garage sale find was just this past summer. I got a real good condition Nikon FM in a bag with an Osawa 135mm, an Osawa 28mm wide lens, a Quantaray 80-200mm tele lens. and a Nikkor 50mm. Also a nice Vivitar flash, and cases for all the lenses. A couple filters adn misc stuff was also in there.
    I got all of that for a measly $20. Oh what great pricing Church garage sales can put out.

Also, 3 weeks after I got all of that, I had a friend give me (I didn't have to pay! Yeah!) his barely used Minolta XG-A with a couple J.C.Penney lenses and a flash. Eh, it isn't any Nikon FM2a but hey, its a good trusty camera.

I didn't read through all 16 pages of responses, but it sure sounds like a lot of you guys got awesome deals on alot of your cameras and accessories.
    My weapons consist of 11 cameras. And counting... Be afraid.

We are the makers of music, The dreamers of dreams.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I got an Ansco Super Speedex about a month ago.Fantastic 120 folding camera and I got it for only $2.One month later I'm still trying to fix the focusing ring,it's stuck on infinity.All the little pieces look mighty impressive in a shoebox on my desk......maybe next time!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Today, a Canonet QL17 GIII in apparently excellent shape (except for the badly deteriorated never-ready case). Even included a functioning mercury battery.

$5, at a garage sale.

Matt

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by dougjgreen View Post
    BTW, a genuine Patek Philippe watch for $10 is an even better deal than a Leica M2 with a 35mm Leica lens for $4.95. I personally buy the highest quality knock-offs of those watches, in Asia, but the real ones sell for between $8-20K new, and used ones are still worth several thousand.

BTW, which store is this, and where is it located?
    A Salvation Army store in the Salem area. He tells me the good buys are now a rare thing there. Seems they hired someone who knows about such things. My only score at a SA store was a beautiful Pentax 110 outfit, body, flash, and three lenses. They had put it in with the hardback books. It was $4.

Honestly I wouldn't know a good watch if it bit me on the nose. I suppose it would be smart if I at least looked them over. It's like the lottery - the odds are poor but you'll never win if you don't play.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    To find good deals you need 3 things:
    1. The knowledge of what is valuable and what is not.
    2. The diligence to regularly prospect for said items.
    3. Mainly a whole lot of luck.

Don't expect to buy some fake turd looking thing and end up with a rare Dirwood vase from the Pantomime era worth a bazillion dollars. Just buy what you like and learn about it

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    2 Nikon f3, with accessories (MF-4 back, DW-3 and DW-4 view attachements, motor drives) for nothing! Where I work, they bought these just before going digital. These pieces stayed in a drawer and are like-new conditions and where about to be trashed for taking too much space. That made my day!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    At the weekend I found an Olympus OM10 with a 50mm lens and a huge long lens for £20. I didn't buy it though. Should I go back next week?

Steve.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin