Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,301   Posts: 1,536,083   Online: 906

Page 17 of 50 FirstFirst ... 71112131415161718192021222327 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    At the weekend I found an Olympus OM10 with a 50mm lens and a huge long lens for £20. I didn't buy it though. Should I go back next week?

Steve.
    That's like saying you met a cute girl that invited you back to her place and you told her you were too tired to go .

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mudman View Post
    That's like saying you met a cute girl that invited you back to her place and you told her you were too tired to go .
    Actually, the girl selling the Olympus was cute!!

I don't know much about OMs. Is the OM10 the one which is auto only unless you plug in the manual adaptor? The only thing I can remember is that the OM4 is sought after.

I have been promised an Olympus SLR by a friend too. I don't know what model it is. I hope to find out on Saturday.

Anyway, a return trip to the car boot sale on Sunday sounds like a good idea and I will have some spare cash then too.

If it's gone, that's good news too because it means someone else has bought it to be used.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    35mm

Decent enough find

Went to a mate's place and he was throwing stuff out prior to a house move, I spied a silver photography case (or whatever you call it), oh yeah he says "just some old film gear I haven't used for ten years, do you want it"

Well, I have scored a Olympus OM10 in what appears to be mint condition, 3 lens, OM 50mm 1:1.8, Tokina SD 28-70 1:3.5-4.5 Macro, Carl Zeiss Jena 80-200 1:4.5-5.6 MC Macro.

Plus a couple of the original cases for the OM10.

Plus

Minolta 7xi with 28-80mm Zoom xi, all lens have filters, all with original manuals, plus a Minolta 3500 xi Flash unit.

Being a relative newbie to SLR Photography I probably do not realise how good this all is but I know enough that I am helping him move and will take a case or two of beer over to him,.

I feel like it is Christmas here..........My Nikon F5 is away being repaired so it was great to pick all this up and know I will use it.

Have been lurking for quite a while here and have enjoyed the board, feels nice to post something.

Cheers
    Lee

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeston View Post
    ...Have been lurking for quite a while here and have enjoyed the board, feels nice to post something....
    Same here. I read and learn a lot on APUG, but almost never speak up.

My best garage sale find was a Yashica Electro 35 GS rangefinder from the original owner for $20. Included a case, the tele/wide accessory lenses, and owner's manual. He had picked it up when serving in Vietnam.

Everything was cosmetically spotless. After I learned how to do the 'microsurgery' pad of death repair, it was functionally perfect as well. I've given it quite a bit of use since.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeston View Post
    Went to a mate's place and he was throwing stuff out prior to a house move, I spied a silver photography case (or whatever you call it), oh yeah he says "just some old film gear I haven't used for ten years, do you want it"

Well, I have scored a Olympus OM10 in what appears to be mint condition, 3 lens, OM 50mm 1:1.8, Tokina SD 28-70 1:3.5-4.5 Macro, Carl Zeiss Jena 80-200 1:4.5-5.6 MC Macro.

Plus a couple of the original cases for the OM10.

Plus

Minolta 7xi with 28-80mm Zoom xi, all lens have filters, all with original manuals, plus a Minolta 3500 xi Flash unit.

Being a relative newbie to SLR Photography I probably do not realise how good this all is but I know enough that I am helping him move and will take a case or two of beer over to him,.

I feel like it is Christmas here..........My Nikon F5 is away being repaired so it was great to pick all this up and know I will use it.

Have been lurking for quite a while here and have enjoyed the board, feels nice to post something.

Cheers
    Lee
    You found the best possible treasure of all; free treasure! The cool thing I find about going out and using gear you get a great price (in your case free), is that you will probably produce many fantastic images and there will always be the footnote about how the image was captured using either an old, inexpensive or free camera! Make sure you post some images here for us!

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by brainsalad View Post
    Same here. I read and learn a lot on APUG, but almost never speak up.

My best garage sale find was a Yashica Electro 35 GS rangefinder from the original owner for $20. Included a case, the tele/wide accessory lenses, and owner's manual. He had picked it up when serving in Vietnam.

Everything was cosmetically spotless. After I learned how to do the 'microsurgery' pad of death repair, it was functionally perfect as well. I've given it quite a bit of use since.
    Very good find indeed, especially knowing that you purchased it from the original owner! Everytime I purchase an old camera or lens I always wonder how much history has it witnessed? In your case, you know your camera actually witnessed history during a very controversial war.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Not really "garage sale" but in today's modern world craigslist has become my "garage sale" equivalent, have made the following local purchases in North Carolina in the last 4 months:

Nikon N80 with 28-105mm Nikkor, fully functional...$25.00.
    Minolta X700 with F1.7 Rokkor, fully functional...$20.00.

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    Again, not a garage sale and I didn't get the goodies, but a tale of "the one that got away".
    Yesterday I was in an antique shop of leased individual units and saw on a shelf a Leica IIIc in reasonable condition but with the price tag face down. It was in a locked cabinet, so I asked to see it properly and how much it was. A lady appeared with the key and fished out the camera, turned over the lable and said "Twenty two pounds" to me. There were other items of camera gear for sale for silly prices (eg a 400mm lens "as found" for £3) so I wasn't going to argue and even if it turned out to be no good it could either sit on a shelf or be moved on to a friend who collects such things. Well, we got as far as the till when a different assistant looked at the label and queried whether two small dashes after the price (ie "£22=", as is common in the UK) might actually be supposed to read "£220". She phoned the owner of the cabinet and you've guessed the rest ......
    So - no Leica and plod on with the old Halina Paulette, then...

Steve

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Roberts View Post
    whether two small dashes after the price (ie "£22=", as is common in the UK) might actually be supposed to read "£220"
    I have never heard of that before.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    I have never heard of that before.
    Steve.
    I think it stems from the days of £sd when it indicated that the price was that number of pounds dead, no shillings and no pence. Sadly, I'm one of those who started life spending £sd ......

Cheers,

Steve

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin