Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,228   Posts: 1,532,782   Online: 853

Page 18 of 50 FirstFirst ... 81213141516171819202122232428 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Roberts View Post
    Sadly, I'm one of those who started life spending £sd ......
    Me too.

I remember items with shillings and pence price tickets. e.g. 3/6, 2/- with the - implying zero pence but not the use of the = sign.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Whenever I go to a garage/yard/estate sale, I always let them know I collect "cameras, binoculars, telescopes, microscopes . . . and fountain pens." Sometimes I get lucky. A couple years ago, I bought an Oly OM-10 with 50/1.8, manual adapter and case for $15. Not bad, I suppose. More recently, I picked up an Oly XA for $5. Came with the flash and manual. Great little picture taker that's a true pocket 35.

Best,
    Michael

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by cooltouch View Post
    "cameras, binoculars, telescopes, microscopes . . . and fountain pens." Sometimes I get lucky.
    Trouble is that I've been so lucky over the years that at home I can barely move for cameras, LPs, books, tools, electrical goodies. It's getting hard to find somewhere to sit down!

Steve

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Roberts View Post
    Trouble is that I've been so lucky over the years that at home I can barely move for cameras, LPs, books, tools, electrical goodies. It's getting hard to find somewhere to sit down!
    Sounds like you live in my house!

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ah, yes! You should see our house, as well. Imagine trying to pour 10 gallons of sand into a 5 gallon bucket, and you'll have some idea of the overflow.

I freely admit to being an inveterate packrat. And garage sales/flea markets are a major cause of this. Unfortunately, my wife is just as bad as I am. What's worse, it appears to be a genetically dominant trait because our daughter exhibits the same predilections -- except she's even worse

Best,
    Michael

Shooter
    35mm
    Haven't had much luck with yard sales. Once I picked up a Yashica EZ-matic because I thought it was "cute" (a problem I have) not realizing it was a 126 camera. Only $10 but I'll likely never use it. A guy on Craigslist (pretty similar to the yard sale, in a way) was selling an Olympus XA, XA2 and XA3 for a good price. Knowing I didn't need them ALL I was going to try to buy just the XA for less, but someone else thought of that first. He was selling the other two for $20 total but I had only wanted the XA so I passed.

Had better luck with thrift shops/flea markets. My best deal so far was an Olympus Trip 35 for $20. Not as dirt cheap as some of the finds posted in this thread, but in perfect condition and I use it all the time...thus making it a good deal .

bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    At the local thrift store...

A Tower 10A rangefinder - $10
    OT: An Argus Super Seventy-Five - $8

Either worth it?

Shooter
    35mm
    It must be me that the God's dont look kindly on I go to Car Boot Sales Charity shops etc etc but never find any bargains like this
    There Is A Bustle In My Hedgerow

My Film Shots On Flickr

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliffy13 View Post
    It must be me that the God's dont look kindly on I go to Car Boot Sales Charity shops etc etc but never find any bargains like this
    Boot sales:-Two weeks ago picked up a mint Yashica T5d with case (European ver of US T4 but better), he wanted £2 but excepted my offer of £1.50...if you are lucky they can reach up to £160 on ebay.
    Another:- OM20 with Olympus 75-150 zoom, worked perfectly wanted £15 but wouldn't accept my offer of £12 so I passed (well I already have a OM20).
    Helios and Meyer lenses £1-£3, boxed reverse adapter for FD lens 10p, developing tanks 50p-£1, hoods and polarisers 50p, I could go on................................

Shooter
    35mm
    My best garage sale find was a near mint nikon F3HP with motor-drive for $100.

I thought that alone was a great deal, but then the seller offered me, for an extra $20, the choice of any lens tout of a box of lenses he had. It was hard to hide my excitement when I found a like-new 50mm f1.2 in that box. :-0

Kinda made me feel bad for the guy, he did not know the value of what he had.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin