Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,634   Online: 661

Page 19 of 50 FirstFirst ... 91314151617181920212223242529 ... LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Not quite the same as garage sales, but I have gotten some deals at thrift stores. I picked up an Olympus XA with flash for $2.59 and a Ricoh KR-5 Super II for $9.99.

Shooter
    35mm
    $3 for a Yashica TL Electro X with a 50mm 1.7 Yashinon and a good battery. The battery is worth $3. It had a broken wire inside so that only the default 1/1000 speed worked. I finally got the shutter working, but not the light meter. Mostly, I wanted it because of the screw-mount body so I could try all the different lenses.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just got a nice Yashica 635 TLR with the 35MM adapter. Does that count for this thread?
    Real men use Speed Graphics and flashbulbs.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    At a car boot sale this evening, a 300mm Optomax Auto in M42 mount.

I have never heard of Optomax but for £2, I thought it was worth a try.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My best find was a Yashica T4 point and shoot 35mm camera with Carl Zeiss lens....I got it for $20 at the Cabelas bargain basement. The reason it was there was that back in the day, deer trail cameras had 35mm compact cameras in them. Not sure of the brand of deer cam it was, but this was in one of them and it had a modified case that had a small 3 pin plug that slotted in. Obviously from the IR detector telling the camera to shoot a frame. Works like a champ though as a regular camera.
    Please check out my website www.amoxomphotography.com and APUG Portfolio .....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just yesterday in a small Antiques Shop, inside a large box in the back a Minolta Himatic 7 perfectly fine; US$5

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    At a car boot sale this evening, a 300mm Optomax Auto in M42 mount.

I have never heard of Optomax but for £2, I thought it was worth a try.

Steve.
    For £2 I think I would risk being robbed too Steve.
    Ben

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    For £2 I think I would risk being robbed too Steve.
    Well, it seems to work after a fashion. Infinity focus is actually at the 30' mark so something isn't right! It is useable though and the auto iris works.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    Well, it seems to work after a fashion. Infinity focus is actually at the 30' mark so something isn't right! It is useable though and the auto iris works.
    Steve.
    The barrel or the infinity stop has probably slipped. It should have some set screws around the focusing ring. Set the focus at the furthest distance the lens will go, loosen the screws a turn or so and move the focus ring so that distance lines up with the index mark. Snug up the screws &n check the focus. You may have to repeat this a time or two, when you get focus tighten up the screws.

If it's the infinity stop,the adjustment is usually under the barrel. In many inexpensive lenses the barrel is held on by set screws or a ring, either at front or back that simply unscrews allowing the barrel to slide off. It's kinda like opening a pickle jar.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    After a long, bleak period of not finding any worthwhile cameras in thrift shops, I found 2 deals the same day!

The first is an Olympus OM-1 with a Vivitar 35-80 zoom for $25. Everything was a bit dirty and dusty, but the glass was clean (luckily it had a lens cap on it) and the camera seems to function perfectly. I need to redo the light seals on the camera before trying it out, but it seems it should work well.

The other camera is a Pentax ZX-M with a Pentax-A 50mm f2 lens for $20. This camera is in pristine condition - made in the late 90s - early 2000s, it looks like the original owner ran a few rolls of file through it, and then went to digital. (Their loss - my gain!) I put some new batteries in it, and it works perfectly. It's small, light and very easy to use - it just might become one of my favorite cameras.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin