Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,990   Posts: 1,524,168   Online: 1083

Page 36 of 50 FirstFirst ... 263031323334353637383940414246 ... LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Picked up a box full of Minolta SLR's and lenses, also a set of Canon AE1 and A1 outfits.

I'm beginning to find, after two months of hitting yard sales, that most people have the same stuff. I'd say the most common find is a Minolta SLR of some kind with a huge Vivitar 70-200mm-ish zoom on it and a 50mm. Second most common is the Canon duo, with some similar lens as well.

I have yet to see a Nikon, Pentax, or Olympus SLR of any sort at a yard sale, although I've managed to pick some up from craigslist. One of these days...

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Around my neck of the woods, I seem to find Canon, Yashica and Sears/Ricoh K mount slrs and lenses, and a lot of Canon and Nikon compacts. I did find a nice Fujica AZ-1 once, and a Praktica PLC3. The only rangefinder that I have ever found at a garage sale was a Canon A35F.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have had many garage sale finds but the best was a Leica M2 with Summicron 35mm f:2. I don't expect to see any more of those.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by skruft View Post
    I have had many garage sale finds but the best was a Leica M2 with Summicron 35mm f:2. I don't expect to see any more of those.
    Haha quit pulling our legs

If true, then pics plus story.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    ...skruft, I'm beyond jealous if thats true. I've just recently begun to accept a rangefinder with 35mm framelines would be my ideal camera... so the M2 has been hard to ignore.

I gave up hitting garage sales and antique stores. I usually bump into people looking for cameras at each within 10 minutes of being there. Short of a connection with someone running the things, my chances of a big score were close to non existent.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Legge View Post
    ...skruft, I'm beyond jealous if thats true. I've just recently begun to accept a rangefinder with 35mm framelines would be my ideal camera... so the M2 has been hard to ignore.

I gave up hitting garage sales and antique stores. I usually bump into people looking for cameras at each within 10 minutes of being there. Short of a connection with someone running the things, my chances of a big score were close to non existent.
    Finding a Leica is the garage sale dream, and I think skruft is the only one living it

I figure the only chance is if you're the first one there and scoop up the goods after a quick glance. In the early days I was looking at one of many camera/lenses at a sale, and some guy came and swooped up literally everything other than what I was holding in my hand. Then he stood around to make sure I was buying it before he left.

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    Yashica T4 in a charity shop for £2.50
    Didn't realise quite what a bargain it was until I got home and checked out the prices these sell for (not forgetting the data version that's just sold here on APUG).

Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Voigtlander Bessa 6X9 Folder impeque. A gift after buying other cameras.
    " A loving and caring heart is the beginning of all knowledge " ~ Thomas Carlyle ~

mjs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I did find a Leica at a garage sale, maybe 15 or 20 years ago. An old woman had a garage sale and my wife and I looked at it and turned to walk away. The woman asked whether we were looking for anything in particular and I mentioned cameras. She said that she had one; it was old, bought by her husband in Germany. She brought it out, a Leica (I don't know the model) with a lens and asked $100 for it.

I can't do that to a widow. I gave her the names of a couple of folks who wouldn't rip her off quite that much and went on my way. I wonder whether she ever sold it, or whether it ended up getting thrown out when she passed on. *Sigh*

Mike
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming– “Wow! What a Ride!”

— Hunter S. Thompson

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A pre-WWII Bessa 66 (Baby Bessa) for $15 at a flea market. In excellent cosmetic shape, working just fine. It took me a while to figure out the tricky film advance (set frame 1 through a red window, then close the red window and work a set of two sliders to stop the advance automatically for each succeeding frame), but once you catch on it's easy. It's a brilliantly designed camera, the easiest to load of all my MF cameras and also the most compact. It fits easily in a jacket pocket. Unfortunately the swing-out yellow filter that carried the lens info had been torn off -- usually the case -- but judging by the results and the fact that it's in a 3.5 in a Compur 1-400 shutter makes me think it's one of the better ones, probably a Skopar.
    If anyone has one of these and is puzzled by the workings, I typed out a DIY instruction manual for a friend who borrowed the camera and I'd be glad to send on a PDF. Just drop me a PM.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin