Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,499   Posts: 1,543,279   Online: 959

Page 41 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3135363738394041424344454647 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just got back from Goodwill tonight emptyhanded... they had a Canon AE-1 complete with shutter squeak for $68.99 and a bag with a Canon EE EX? with a Minolta Himatic 7 for $99.99.... I have this feeling the person pricing these cameras thinks that since they don't have LCD screens they are rare... who knows...

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    I walked away from a garage sale that had a Bessa II with the 105 Heliar f2.8 which they were asking $600 for "because they go for $800 on €&@¥". I tried to explain that what people were asking for and what they sold for were wildly different.... No move.

David

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yea, should just show them the completed listings on it, and point out condition with people like that.

Shooter
    35mm
    You could leave your contact info, so after they realize they'll never get the asking price they can still reach you.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Someonenameddavid View Post
    I walked away from a garage sale that had a Bessa II with the 105 Heliar f2.8 which they were asking $600 for "because they go for $800 on €&@¥". I tried to explain that what people were asking for and what they sold for were wildly different.... No move.

David
    Even if that is what they really are going for on eBay, I don't think that garage/boot/estate sales should really reflect eBay completed auction prices, or soon, there will be no more stuff to sell on eBay.

Shooter
    35mm
    eBay is pretty much market value, why wouldn't garage sale prices reflect market value? If anything I expect garage sale prices to be lower, because I have to drive over there

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by altim View Post
    eBay is pretty much market value ...
    Yeah, but ebay asking price or ebay selling price? Many yard sellers don't seem to know the difference. They find the most outrageously high asking prices and think that's the value of the item. Some even display eBay printouts next to the items they're selling to "prove that's the value." They also try to sell broken or beatup cameras for the price of mint, working examples. Any amount of reasoning with them will only get them mad at you because they think you're trying to rip them off. No point in arguing with ignorance.

Shooter
    35mm
    Selling price of course, but you are right that some people don't want to hear it. I've used the ebay app on my phone during negotiations and it only makes them angrier

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by altim View Post
    eBay is pretty much market value, why wouldn't garage sale prices reflect market value? If anything I expect garage sale prices to be lower, because I have to drive over there
    Who goes to garage sales with the intent of paying market value for anything? Ebay targets specific markets and the bidding among buyers within that specific market determines the auction value for merchandise that was often bought at bargain prices at garage sales. Garage sales are a crap shoot for bargain hunters, they are a matter of convenience for both the buyer and the seller. If you want eBay prices for something, then take the time to sell it on eBay to someone who is looking for that particular item. If you are more interested in making fast money via the garage sale route, then you should price your stuff in a range which makes it attractive enough for quick purchase by impulse buyers or bargain hunters.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by elcabezagrande View Post
    Who goes to garage sales with the intent of paying market value for anything? Ebay targets specific markets and the bidding among buyers within that specific market determines the auction value for merchandise that was often bought at bargain prices at garage sales. Garage sales are a crap shoot for bargain hunters, they are a matter of convenience for both the buyer and the seller. If you want eBay prices for something, then take the time to sell it on eBay to someone who is looking for that particular item. If you are more interested in making fast money via the garage sale route, then you should price your stuff in a range which makes it attractive enough for quick purchase by impulse buyers or bargain hunters.
    Yes! Unfortunately, this fails to account for the vast majority of people that are illogical, obtuse, or both.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin