Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,228   Posts: 1,532,743   Online: 872

Page 45 of 50 FirstFirst ... 35394041424344454647484950 LastLast

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    This past weekend at an antiques fair, two Pentax LX bodies, one 50mm f1.4 SMC-A, one 24-35mm SMC zoom and one 35 mm f2.0 SMC - £50 the lot.
    All because, as the vendor said, "No-one uses film any more."
    Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Roberts View Post
    This past weekend at an antiques fair, two Pentax LX bodies, one 50mm f1.4 SMC-A, one 24-35mm SMC zoom and one 35 mm f2.0 SMC - £50 the lot.
    Steve
    Wow!! That is a great score, you can pay for the lot by just selling the 50 1.4. I need to go shopping more!! Congrats!

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by WMRphoto View Post
    Wow!! That is a great score, you can pay for the lot by just selling the 50 1.4. I need to go shopping more!! Congrats!
    Nearly caught myself out - playing around with the two LX bodies last night it was obvious that although in auto mode the meters were indicating exposures (in the ambient room light) of, say, 1/4 second, the actual exposure when I pressed the shutter was closer to a second. However, as it was the same on both and yet the manual exposure indication was fine, I thought it worth a bit of a surf before worrying too much.

The answer was obvious when I found it (no doubt many are ahead of me!). Because the LX measures the light falling on the film during the exposure, as soon as I pressed the shutter and the first blind opened the reading was being taken from the black surface of the pressure plate, not from either the grey unexposed emulsion of a film or from the grey front surface of the blind. Tonight's job is to load an unexposed film and see whether that makes a difference.

The info I found on the web is that that scenario can make 2 to 3 stops difference, but no-one seems to be able to explain how the metering copes with different shades of emulsion.

Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I found a working Olympus XA4 with A11 flash in the thrift store's junk 35mm bin. $1.50 plus tax.
    "Panic not my child, the Great Yellow Father has your hand"--Larry Dressler

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nickrapak View Post
    I found a working Olympus XA4 with A11 flash in the thrift store's junk 35mm bin. $1.50 plus tax.
    Almost as good a deal as my XA4. £0.50 ($0.81) - but without the flash!

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF

Nikon mania

I found a Black 65 series F with black Photomic T head, 50 I.4 S 28 f2 35 f2 55 3.5 Micro, 105 2.5 Sonnar type in lightly used condition for $275 glass is excellent. All but the 50 1.4 have been AI'd . The F is not a red dot unfortunately but was precision engineered to take the Photomic T head. The Micro Nikkor, 35 and 105 were precision engineered to AI by non Nikon engineers but the 28 is factory adapted. Not a collectors set. There also is the adapter plate for an F36 and the battery pack but no drive: so either I need a drive or someone want to trade something for a battery pack?

David

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    It's good that they don't!!

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    35mm
    Steve
    What a fantastic find!

The info I found on the web is that that scenario can make 2 to 3 stops difference, but no-one seems to be able to explain how the metering copes with different shades of emulsion.
    Steve
    Excerpt below from Modern Photography magazine's May 1976 review of the OM2 - first camera implementation of OTF (off the film) metering, that provides a comprehensive answer to this.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	large.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	212.3 KB 
ID:	61626

BTW, the LX's unassisted single metering range of EV -6.5 to EV 20 is unmatched by any camera past or present. Heck, I don't even know of an external meter that matches it. It also monitors the scene in realtime for changes in lighting and will vary exposure time - up or down, for as long as it takes or your battery is exhausted. There is no other camera that does this either - Pentax or any other brand.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF

Re: Your Great Garage Sale 35mm Find?

Quote Originally Posted by Les Sarile View Post
    It also monitors the scene in realtime for changes in lighting and will vary exposure time - up or down, for as long as it takes or your battery is exhausted. There is no other camera that does this either - Pentax or any other brand.
    The OM2 does the same thing, and afaik, was the first to do this. It can even do this with it's dedicated flashes (e.g. when other photogs fire their flashes during your exposure).

Stefan

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk 2

Shooter
    35mm
    You're correct that the OM2 was the first implementation - even though Canon and Minolta applied for patents first, and that it meters in realtime OTF. However, all Olympus are limited to 120 seconds max in their aperture priority autoexposure according to the manual as well as testing I have conducted with my OM2 and OM4. Please let me know if there is another camera that can meter for as long as it takes or battery is exhausted in aperture priority autoexposure as that is my main interest and knowing of another would be great! I started with the Canon EOS and they are all limited to 30 seconds and exposure is determined at the time the shutter is depressed.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin