Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,765   Posts: 1,484,078   Online: 957

Page 6 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111216 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I have found Olympus XA and XA2 at yard sales, one was $5 and one was $3 - both with cases and flash. That's the best I've been able to do.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    brian d--where in Indiana are your flea markets? Mine is in Lafayette!
    I go to several when I can, the Croy Creek flea market east of Brazil is once or twice a month and can be a good one. One of my kids goes to it often and tells me someone brings a box-o-camera's most of the time. One of my realist's came from there. the WRVAA Tractor show at Elnora has a fairly nice flea market in Sept.
    If you can get down to Friendship in june during the muzzle loader shoot the market there is huge or at least it was as of 4 years ago.
    Where and when is the market at Lafayette? I go there most years for the Feast of the Hunters Moon.
    I dont know if its true or not but people used to tell me that the flea market during the tractor show at Portland is one of the biggest in the country ( I find it a little hard to believe)
    Real men use Speed Graphics and flashbulbs.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Last summer I spotted a holster type camera bag. It was like new. They were asking $15 for it. When I picked it up to inspect it, I was surprised at the weight. In the case was a camera. The seller told me it was just an old beat up camera, and it went with the bag. Well as I removed the old camera from the bag I discovered it was a Nikon N6006 with a 28-85 AF lens. Both were in excellent condition. My daughter has taken it with her to college.

Shooter
    35mm
    Congratulations on the great finds!

How much do you save when you factor in the amount of time pawing through junk? My first wife (now deceased) was a garage sale addict, so then that time was a "sunk cost." Yes, I got some great deals on stuff. But, I had to spend a lot of time looking at junk while she searched for treasure.

My present wife is not a garage sale fan so I pay more, but have the time for other things.

~Steve

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    "that time was a "sunk cost."

If she was doing something she enjoyed, i would not consider that a sunk cost.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by darinwc View Post
    "that time was a "sunk cost."

If she was doing something she enjoyed, i would not consider that a sunk cost.
    I agree, it is the thrill that you get when you find something good in all that junk that makes it worth the hunt. Sometimes you find something completely different from what you set out to find, but turns out to be even better.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    ..and sometimes just getting out of the house and meeting people makes the day worthwhile.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I was looking for this thread the other day. Zenza Bronica S2 with a 150mm Zenzanon at a thrift store for $5 USD.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    35mm
    I don't exactly go to garage sales. But there is always that garage sale of the 21st century known as craigslist, where you can find a good deal from time to time. Probably one of my best 35mm finds was a Canon EOS 3 for $25. There is a crack in the prism. But this doesn't affect image quality. And the camera works fine in all other respects. Another decent find in recent months was a nearly new Canon Elan 7ne kit, complete with battery grip, infrared remote trigger, kit lens (for what THAT'S worth!), and several rolls of cheapie Kodak C41 film for $80. On the flip side, though, there is no shortage of people on craigslist who seem to think that the Rebel kit they bought new six months ago is worth over $300.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just bought an Omega Pro-Lab D6 enlarger that I found on Craigslist. It wasn't $5, but it also wasn't $500.00 (CDN).

With a full complement of lenses and a good complement of negative carriers and lensboards, plus both condenser and Ilfospeed Multigrade 400 heads, it was a lot less than buying through eBay, and infinitely less than buying a new D5 (which is quite similar, and still being manufactured) through B & H.

I also get the additional entertainment of comparing what I paid to what B & H and others want for new or even used versions of the equipment - don't you love a bargain .

Matt

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin