Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,832   Posts: 1,582,378   Online: 809

Page 8 of 50 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131418 ... LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Here in the US, sellers at garage sales (and Craig's List) seem to have one of the following two mindsets about 35mm SLR cameras: They think they are completely worthless because they use film (which is dead), or they think they are worth the exact same amount of money that they originally paid for them 10-20 years ago.

Luckily, most people fall under the first category.

I love when Craig's List or online auction listings say things like "Canon Rebel G with 35-80mm zoom lens - I paid $900.00 for it new three years ago!"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I completely agree Todd.

Last summer I snagged a black Spotmatic with the 50/1.4, 28/3.5 and 135/3.5, Asahi macro bellows and slide copier for $40. Everything but the 50 and the bellows needed some TLC, but it was still a good deal. I had the Spotmatic and the 28mm CLA'd, then donated the Spotmatic and the 50 to a high school photo class (their cameras had been stolen that summer). I sold everything else and pretty much broke even.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Showed up at a garage sale today and found some books on olympus and minolta cameras.. and a bunch of original receipts for an olympus OM1n. When I inquired about the cameras, I was told all the cameras were already sold.. DOH!

Shooter
    35mm
    we had a customer walk into the store I was working at, she had found a nikon F4 for $10 at a thrift store. She was somewhat disappointed that even a 50mm f1.8 costs around $100

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by bob100684 View Post
    we had a customer walk into the store I was working at, she had found a nikon F4 for $10 at a thrift store. She was somewhat disappointed that even a 50mm f1.8 costs around $100
    Tell her I'll give her $15 for it, then she won't have to worry about it.
    Jeff M

M3, M5, CLE, Minolta XE7, Minolta Maxxum 9, Minolta Maxxum 9000, Nikon F3HP, etc., etc.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I recently found an Olympus M-1 with Zuiko 1.4 for 25 US$

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Pumalite View Post
    I recently found an Olympus M-1 with Zuiko 1.4 for 25 US$

Now that's a deal and a half

My best deal wasn't at a garage sale, but I did buy an FE2 with MD 12 and a 35-105 Nikkor zoom (all in excellent condition) for $250 from the guy who CLA's my cameras

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I think I posted here before about a previous coup.

More news kinda just in:

A few weeks ago I was at the local camera repair place, this guy works out of his house a total gent and a wonderful array of cameras everywhere, his and customers fully serviced awaiting pick-up. A real play ground and a great place to hold some out of budget pro stuff as well as cherished oldies.

I was shown a Konica Auto S3 rangefinder and told that it would give any Leica a run for it’s money in sharpness, The camera felt tiny and puny to me. I got the history of hexagon lens and their legendary sharpness. It was a camera I'd have ignored completely if I saw it.

Fast forward two weekends later in a small town in West Cork, the local charity shop, there is the usual 3 or 4 Haminex plastic crappy point and shot 35mms hanging by their cords in the corner gathering dust, sometimes you find a decent case, always worth a look. There amongst them was an Auto S3, with original case. The lens was mint as a filter was wedged tight on. They said €20, I knew I could have haggled for less but thought a steal is a steal.

I've tried it and wow what a lens, if we get sunshine in Ireland this summer (5% probability!!) I can't wait to try this fill in flash feature.

That night I also got to hold a few Hasselblad Systems…this is the dangerous part … “Dear Santa Claus ………….
    Simplicius

"defying gravity since 1898"

My Flickr Account

Shooter
    35mm
    Not really a garage sale find, but it still qualifies as a great find in my book.

A Pentax M 120mm f2.8 lens for 120 Aussie dollars - and it's in pristine condition. These things seem to be rarer than rocking horse poo, I can't find that much info about them on the net. Looks like a perfect companion to my 100mm.

I love the M series lenses, the build quality is fantastic.

Last summer I found a beautiful Olympus OM1n w/ 50 1.8 for $20. It was super clean with a working battery. The lady said she had bought it in England. Also, I used to work at a camera store years ago when I was in college. An elderly lady came in one time and gave me a nice Kodak Bantam Special with the leather carrying case and strap. She said that she was going to a nursing home and had to get rid of it, and if something is special to you, you give it away, not sell it. She said that the camera went around the world with her twice in her younger years. I wish I could find film to take pictures with it, but it is a treasured part of my collection anyway. I'm still watching garage sales for a great Leica deal.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin