Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,849   Posts: 1,582,824   Online: 736

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Another vote for the Nikkor 24-120

I've got the AF-D version (non-VR) which I bought about two years ago from the APUG classifieds and it has served me quite well. I've used it when I'm traveling light with just the F100 or N80 and even on a D50, once. Yes, it's not the sharpest lens in the Nikon lineup but it's very good stopped down one or two stops and makes gorgeous 8x10's. Also it's very short, when collapsed. Have a great hike!

Shooter
    35mm
    If you can live without the 28mm wide angle, the last version of Nikon's AF 35-105 3.5-4.5 (the D version) is very small, it's a push-pull design with a 52mm non-rotating front element. It doesn't focus closer than 3 feet, unfortunately, but I had one and it was pretty sharp. Personally this would not be my first choice because of the missing 28mm end.

I've never used the Nikon 28-105, but it has a decent reputation and might be the best choice, as it covers the range you'd like to have. It focuses pretty close. It is a little heavier than the 28-70 and takes a 62mm filter. Another possibility that I have no experience with is the cheap 28-100 G-series lens. It has a 3.5-5.6 slow maximum aperture and has a vestigial focus ring, but it weighs almost nothing (less than any of the other lenses discussed here) and covers the range you want.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    First, don't read "A Walk in the Woods".

I've never found that I've gotten much use out of a longish telephoto when hiking. My usual lens was a 28-85. I would have preferred a bit more length, say 105.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jgjbowen View Post
    28-300 Zoom!!!! How much does that thing weigh??? The OP is going on a 1,000+ mile hike! I think a 28-300 zoom will probably last about a day before it found itself at the bottom of some body of water.

so how much film is the OP planning to take along?
    Thanks everyone for the replies. I'm thinking more and more about just using my 28-70mm. I'm thinking that while the 2x converter is a great idea, every time I'll want to use it I won't want to fumble around getting it out and changing it and the lens. If I have one body and one lens, I'll never have to fiddle with that. I might check into the 28-105. One down side is that it's 6oz more than than the 28-70. (I know, what's 6oz? But ounces add up to pounds!). The other downside is the 62mm threads. My lens has a nice 52mm thread and I really did want to try to take (and keep clean) a circular polarizer filter. We'll see how that goes.

Anyway, as far as film, I'm thinking of shooting Provia 100F. I would really like to shoot Velvia, but I'll surely be taking pictures of people that I meet along the way and Provia offers nicer skin tones, plus the lower contrast is nice too. I'm not going to take a ton of rolls with me, but rather buy a bunch of rolls and have them mailed to me as I need them along with my food drops and other supplies my family will mail me along the trail.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Gee I must have got one of the good 24-120 AF-D's as mine is very sharp on the film bodies. On the Digi body not so sharp.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    35mm
    I have no hesitation in recommending the Nikkor 28-105 AF-D.Easily as good as the 28-70 you already own,possibly slightly better.My copy is more than decent even wide open,at all focal lengths and has the advantage of a very good closeup facility.(goes to 1:2) Stopped down to 5.6-8 I find it virtually as good as prime lenses.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jgjbowen View Post
    28-300 Zoom!!!! How much does that thing weigh??? The OP is going on a 1,000+ mile hike! I think a 28-300 zoom will probably last about a day before it found itself at the bottom of some body of water.

so how much film is the OP planning to take along?
    Slightly more than the 35 to 105mm zooms. The 300mm is good for wild life.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The 24-120 must have a lot of sample variation. The one I had was one of the softest pieces of crap I have ever owned. Dog doesn't begin to describe how crappy that lens was. And I bought it brand new! Boy, did I get spanked on that purchase.
    I just want to feel nostalgic like I used to.

http://www.clayharmon.net - turnip extraordinaire

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I got a very good 24-120 VR
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by brian steinberger View Post
    If everything falls into place I'll be leaving within the next month and heading north from springer mountain GA. If I were to head south I would probably wait til late May, which will be my other option if everything doesn't work out.
    It is usually better to do a long distance walk from South to North (In the Northern Hemisphere): That way you usually have the Sun behind you.

Have fun! Might jump the Pond to do that one too one day....
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin