Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,701   Posts: 1,482,641   Online: 727

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Hey, Brian. Not a bad idea on leaving the 2x out on second thought. Light and Life move fast out there and won't wait for you to affix everything to the front of the camera. Not to mention, you won't have to open your camera to dusty air either.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If there's one lens I couldn't live without, it's the 28-105. It is a little heavier, but just that little oomph past the 70 could make all the difference. I've done some dayhikes on the AT with it and can't think of too often that I've wanted more.

Shooter
    Medium Format

through hiking lens

first of all, congratulations!

I have never done the AT- but have hiked the PCT many, many years ago. I took a minox 35gt and still marvel at the slides. The one piece of advice (that I remember) was that I always wanted a wider lens- and a very few times needed a long lens. The long lens was usually for pictures of faces- 99% of the time I was wishing for a wider lens.

Travel light and take your time!

I am jealous (and old)- when you get to new england send an email.

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Yeah, come to think of it, hiking with a zoom might get to be a pain. How about a really light body or two with primes.

Not to incite debate, but for hiking and such I much prefer an RF kit.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Had that same thought, something like FM2 (light compared to the F100 and only two #76 batteries to worry with) and some plasticy light primes like any of the AF-D types.

Shooter
    35mm
    I don't recommend either of the 24-120mm lenses. I've read poor reviews of the D version and have experienced first-hand the poor sharpness of the VR version. My Nikkor 28-105mm f3.5-4.5 is MUCH sharper, and has a pretty good (1:3) macro setting, for a zoom lens. Love the F100. Metering was always spot-on for my Velvia 50 slides.

Are you going to shoot transparency or neg film?
    Last edited by GeorgeDexter; 02-12-2009 at 11:41 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My choice would be 24, 50 and 105mm lenses and a 1.4x telextender. And as suggested - the lightweight AF plastic versions of the lenses. I am just not a fan of zooms: more of a 'fast glass/slow film' shooter.

Weight is a most important factor for hiking, and I don't know that Nikon makes especially light cameras, certainly mine aren't. The old Canon Rebel was a light weight wonder - though one body may not make it through the entire hike.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    35mm
    I had the 24-120 VR and it was not a good lens. Soft, focus problems,heavy etc. I didn't like it.

If I was going for a hike like that, I'd just get a 35/2, 85/1.8, and some tele lens.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Don't worry, B. We're just living vicariously through you.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Definitely read A Walk in The Woods. Lens wise if you were thinking to carry a converter and change it all the time when you need it you may as well carry two light primes. Zoom with your feet.
    W.A. Crider

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin