Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,802   Posts: 1,671,667   Online: 907

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Medium Format

through hiking lens

first of all, congratulations!

I have never done the AT- but have hiked the PCT many, many years ago. I took a minox 35gt and still marvel at the slides. The one piece of advice (that I remember) was that I always wanted a wider lens- and a very few times needed a long lens. The long lens was usually for pictures of faces- 99% of the time I was wishing for a wider lens.

Travel light and take your time!

I am jealous (and old)- when you get to new england send an email.

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Yeah, come to think of it, hiking with a zoom might get to be a pain. How about a really light body or two with primes.

Not to incite debate, but for hiking and such I much prefer an RF kit.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Had that same thought, something like FM2 (light compared to the F100 and only two #76 batteries to worry with) and some plasticy light primes like any of the AF-D types.

Shooter
    35mm
    I don't recommend either of the 24-120mm lenses. I've read poor reviews of the D version and have experienced first-hand the poor sharpness of the VR version. My Nikkor 28-105mm f3.5-4.5 is MUCH sharper, and has a pretty good (1:3) macro setting, for a zoom lens. Love the F100. Metering was always spot-on for my Velvia 50 slides.

Are you going to shoot transparency or neg film?
    Last edited by GeorgeDexter; 02-12-2009 at 11:41 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My choice would be 24, 50 and 105mm lenses and a 1.4x telextender. And as suggested - the lightweight AF plastic versions of the lenses. I am just not a fan of zooms: more of a 'fast glass/slow film' shooter.

Weight is a most important factor for hiking, and I don't know that Nikon makes especially light cameras, certainly mine aren't. The old Canon Rebel was a light weight wonder - though one body may not make it through the entire hike.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    35mm
    I had the 24-120 VR and it was not a good lens. Soft, focus problems,heavy etc. I didn't like it.

If I was going for a hike like that, I'd just get a 35/2, 85/1.8, and some tele lens.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Don't worry, B. We're just living vicariously through you.
    Thank you.
    -CW

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Definitely read A Walk in The Woods. Lens wise if you were thinking to carry a converter and change it all the time when you need it you may as well carry two light primes. Zoom with your feet.
    W.A. Crider

Shooter
    35mm
    For a fast tele prime, the Nikkor AIS 200mm f4 is small, light and sharp!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    While for most long-distance walks I've gone over to the dark side for weight reasons (a D*** P&S), my lightest-weight & most compact walking film kit is a rangefinder.

Lenses are tiny (I carry 21 + 35 + 90 & sometimes a 15mm), also lighter (though the Leica M6 itself isn't as light as its size would indicate). The cheaper & lighter CV bodies could be a way to go.
    AF, motorized advancement, long lenses & batteries are no-nos on long walks.
    For landscapes & photographing the people you meet you won't need lots of automation & fast frame rates.
    But you *will* feel every gramme you're carrying!
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin