Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,553   Posts: 1,544,960   Online: 789

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images

Nikon zoom lens for thru-hiking the Appalachian Trail

I'm seriously considering thru-hiking the Appalachian Trial beginning early next month. I would definitely take my Nikon F100. I only want to carry one lens (a zoom). I have a Nikkor 28-70 3.5-4.5 D that I've had for years and is a great lens. I'm thinking that I may want more on the telephoto end though, something more like 105mm. As for the wide end, 28 is fine. I'm not going to want f2.8 lenses because of their weight and bulk.

Anyone have any suggestions on an all around great Nikkor zoom that would be a better choice than my 28-70? I know Nikon makes a 24-120. Anyone have experience?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I have a 24-120 and it works like a charm. Very sharp and stands up well for flare. The only thing that is a negative is the slow speed. When you have it out to 120mm in relatively low light you will have to go to manual focus. 95% of the time I'm on manual anyway so it's not a big deal for me. I use it on both a N90s and an F5.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Though you might have a slight amount of light fall off, you might even consider a 2x tele for room's sake. Especially on a thru hike. That's a long way to carry a second lens. You could take the extra space and pack in a couple extra bags of granola.

Hiking thru, huh? I had such aspirations in my youth. Starting at Springer Mt? S-N? Or headed off to Katahdin and beginning in the REAL cold.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Chris, excellent idea with a 2x converter. How much does one weigh?

If everything falls into place I'll be leaving within the next month and heading north from springer mountain GA. If I were to head south I would probably wait til late May, which will be my other option if everything doesn't work out.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The 24-120/3.5-5.6 sounds like a great idea but BEWARE there are two versions out there.

The 24-120 AF-D is the only Nikon lens I've purchased in the last 30 years that was a disappointment. They are slightly soft overall as in never sharp anywhere in the frame. Thus they are really cheap on the used market.

I donated mine to my yearbook staff since it is sharp enough for their D****** Nikons.

The newer version is has the VR and I think is AF-S as well. I've not used it but it gets good reviews on the boards here. Its higher than the non VR version but still not expensive.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have an F-100 with a 28-105 macro...fantastic lens.
    "Generalizations are made because they are generally true"
    Flicker http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradibarrius
    Barry
    Monroe, GA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Two recommendations:
    Nikon f/3.5 28 to 200mm
    Tameron f/3.8 28 to 300mm

I have both. My 35mm primes are zooms.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Large Format
    28-300 Zoom!!!! How much does that thing weigh??? The OP is going on a 1,000+ mile hike! I think a 28-300 zoom will probably last about a day before it found itself at the bottom of some body of water.

so how much film is the OP planning to take along?
    John Bowen

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Yeah, but it would make a great weight for the center of a solar still. (drip, drip, drip)

Converter would weigh less than another lens in all likelihood. Weight would not be a factor so much as room. You could cram a converter and a couple of extension rings and a couple extra filters in the space of another zoom. Or just the 2x and about four more rolls of film. And don't forget to bring duct tape. Great for blisters and holding things in places and mending tears in fabric/pack material/tents in a pinch.

Have fun.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Oh, and if you don't have yet, I might be able to find my maps/books from Springer Mt. through the Smokies. Their six years old but you're more than welcome to them. If I can find them that is. I haven't seen them since I was single five years ago. And the've moved three times since then. But if you want, I'll look.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    DE Darkroom

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin