Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,012   Posts: 1,524,696   Online: 773

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think you are correct re: light seals. I would open mine to verify, but there's a roll of TMax 100 in it right now.
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    35mm
    John Hermanson the Olympus guru on the "rangefinder Forum" states that there is a flexilble circuit with a small ceramic circuit on the rear of the shutter. If this cracks the self timer will always be on.
    I also replaced the seals on my XA2 using John Goodman (interslice on ebay) kit. Easy to do and John give excellent directions. Good value, after the XA2, I sealed an OM 2n and an OM PC and still have material left!
    Last edited by Robint; 02-13-2009 at 11:40 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Additional info.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was very disappointed with the lens on the two I had: not very sharp and very prone to flare. The lens was a telephoto design to keep the camera thin and preclude the need for a pop-out lens. I think the lens' 6-element/5-group complexity, use of high refraction glasses and requirement for very tight tolerances are the cause for the flare problem and large sample-to-sample variation in optical performance. Wide open the lens is a bit of a dog. My problem with the self timer was the little ST/backlight tab broke off.

I was, and still am, very happy with the lens performance on the Yashica T4 Super/T5.

My current carry-around is a Nikon 35ti, but it is a bit of brick.

The XA's strong points were its pocketability and its manual RF focusing. The clamshell design was lovely. Now if they put a Zeiss Tessar lens on it (I don't care if the lens extends), clothed it in titanium and had Nikon design it's innards to F-series standards...
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    35mm
    I've always found the XA to be sharp. On the rare occasions I stopped down to f22 there was vignetting. As intended, a great pocketable snapshot camera.

Shooter
    35mm
    You might want to go to rangefinderforum. 2 were just listed there today 2/13/09

Shooter
    35mm
    Common XA problems: always jammed in self timer AND 10 second exposures, no matter what f stop you are set to. Both caused by cracked circuit board (often caused by impact damage). By now, all XAs will probably have bad light seals. John, www.zuiko.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hello Ken, I bought a rather beaten-up XA some years ago. It still works fine but I had the replace the seals in the inside of the camera door.
    Hans
    Digital is best taken with a grain of silver.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Oh, well. So the XA does have seals. I told you it's been awhile.

I did very much enjoy having the XA. It had a decent lens and was full-featured enough to be usable.
    http://www.zone-10.com

When you turn your camera on, does it return the favor?

Shooter
    35mm
    I bought a used XA with flash from a camera store in the late 1980's. I really love the camera. It does tend to eat batteries, and it is battery-dependent. The flash died several years ago in that I couldn't get it to stay in the retracted position. The top broke off. I keep the flash attached to use as a small grip to help steady the camera. It has a fine lens.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The XA I bought in the 80's needs seals also the sliding door is starting to get arthritis(just like me) This camera has lived a long and full life-backpacking in the Rockies, trecking in Nepal , uncounted fishing trips, skiing every year for 20 years. My wifes XAII has other problems. I still love both, but I guess its time to either spend money on them, or sell them cheap to someone who will care for them.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin