Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,202   Posts: 1,531,610   Online: 1146

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Olympus XA questions

What are some common olympus XA problems to look out for when looking for one?
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Images
    I don't know, but I think I have a couple of them around here somewhere. Low miles.
    Watch for Loose Gravel

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The shutter can be a little tricky. It's very sensitive to pressure, and has a very short travel. Sometimes, though mine won't fire at all, and then will click when I'm just handling the camera. They are sweet cameras, though. I always carry mine in my briefcase. (or in a plastic bag when I'm out kayaking) It uses a dedicated flash, the A11 or the A16. There are lots available on ebay, but be careful... I bought one at a great price, and it never worked well. (and it was worse after I tried to fix it. :rolleyes: )

Cheers,
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I heard something about the ceramic part or something cracking and leaving the camera on self timer mode. How would I test to see if this has occurred?
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    35mm
    I got one bought in 1979 I didn't have any problem with it until I sold it in 1984. I have 3 others bought used from ebay and the 2 of them still work but the meter doesn't move any more. The yellow rangefinder is also fading out and is very hard to see.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The most comon problem is a sticky shutter. I have two XAs and one very occasionally doesn't release - the meter needle trips so the electronics has tried to release the shutter, but it's stuck. Another couple of presses of the release button usually fires it, but it can be a nuisance. Otherwise I think they're pretty reliable. I've not heard of the self-timer issue, but you should be able to check this quite easily. If the self-timer is set, when you press the shutter release the LED on the front of the camera will light and the shutter will trip 10 seconds later. The XA is a great little camera but they're all getting quite old now, and I don't know what the availability of parts is like.
    Regards,
    Richard.

RH Designs - My Photography

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    And...of course, the XA being an old camera, the light seals might need replacing.

Hans
    Digital is best taken with a grain of silver.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Dirty battery contacts can cause a variety of strange things to happen too.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    Dirty battery contacts can cause a variety of strange things to happen too.

Steve.
    +1 on this. I used some very fine crocus cloth on the end of pencil eraser, it made all the difference. No response to depressing shutter button can also be the advance wheel has not been advanced all the way, firm turns until it stops seem to end that one for me.
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by clogz View Post
    And...of course, the XA being an old camera, the light seals might need replacing.

Hans
    I don't recall my XA having light seals. I thought the back on it had a hard light trap design. But it's been several years since I had an XA, so I could be wrong.

(Once I thought I was wrong, but was mistaken)
    http://www.zone-10.com

When you turn your camera on, does it return the favor?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin