Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,493   Posts: 1,542,997   Online: 806

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick Fagan View Post
    As far as third party lenses go, you could look at Sigma.

The Sigma Super-Wide II 24mm which is an f2.8 with multi coating could be useful to you. It uses the 52mm standard Nikon filter size which is used by most Nikkor lenses. The Sigma lens I have is also good as it has click stops in half stop spacings, something no Nikkor lenses I have has.

Mick.
    Well I too have that sigma (for Canon mount) and am pleased with the results, if you can get it cheap (paid £7 for mine with a tiny bit of fungus) it's a bargain......but don't think results from macro use are the best you can get though.

sigma as above, 5"X7" print scanned with a very old scanner.
    Last edited by Excalibur2; 02-15-2009 at 06:22 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think you have some very good answers to your question above.

However, have you really thought about whether or not f/2.8 is truly fast enough for your pix? Lens speed restrictions will be much more of a dealbreaker for most pix than will focal length restrictions, in general, but specifically for what you mentioned shooting (assuming you mean hand held shooting). If you sometimes find f/1.8 limiting, you will find f/2.8 or f/3.5 downright horrible. IMO, zoom lenses have one huge application: when you are physically stuck in one location or otherwise have a very limited range of personal movement. The rest of the benefits of zooms are there, but are minor in comparison to that one, and they have huge drawbacks, the most important of which in a practical sense is speed. Compare the weight, size, and cost of a quality zoom to two more fixed-length lenses and an extra body, and look at the benefits you get in speed, optical quality, true lens speed based on transmission (t stops), viewfinder brightness, ease of focusing. I like zooms OK for a lot of things (will be using one tomorrow), but all this stuff should be considered, if it has not been already.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    35mm
    yeah, you're right.. well, you know, i do street.. most of the time at night... and when at daylight, i say that the 50mm is sometimes limiting because i cant get very close as i wanted to my subjects... and sometimes, i want to get all the real estate as i can in my frame... thats why i want a wide angle lens at the same time a nice decent long range lens..

i thought that a zoom lens with a range of 20ish - 100ish would definitely cover my range, but i know, it wont be as fast as my 50mm... and to think, that i shoot at night.. 50mm f/1.8 is good for me in low light, (thinking about it, i need a f/1.2, but i have to sell my kidneys for one.. ) so i know that a lens with a f/2.8 or f/3.5 would be horrible, and i have pump up my film speed to compensate for it...

with the recent booming of photography here in my country, the prices even for the old manual lenses is quite high, and the demand for it has gone up high too since everybody is looking for an alternative to the more expensive modern AF lenses... third party lenses is cheap here, but, i would have to search high and low for those mentioned above... i was lucky to get a 50mm f/1.8, but its Series E... but so far, im happy with the results im getting..

but i know, at the end of the day, after the light has gone, i would always put my 50mm back onto my cam... i just wish i could test the 35-105 Nikkor zoom lens that was offered to me for a bargain price and see it is good enough... i have my fm2n now, so, the zoom lenses would be mounted on it, and my 50mm f/1.8 will be mounted on a F3 (im still looking for one in good condition)... so, what do u guys think?
    Flickr
    Multiply
    My PhotoBlog
    My Twitter!

WTB: Konica Autoreflex T3 and AR lenses

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by denmark.yuzon View Post
    yeah, you're right.. well, you know, i do street.. most of the time at night... and when at daylight, i say that the 50mm is sometimes limiting because i cant get very close as i wanted to my subjects... and sometimes, i want to get all the real estate as i can in my frame... thats why i want a wide angle lens at the same time a nice decent long range lens..

i thought that a zoom lens with a range of 20ish - 100ish would definitely cover my range, but i know, it wont be as fast as my 50mm... and to think, that i shoot at night.. 50mm f/1.8 is good for me in low light, (thinking about it, i need a f/1.2, but i have to sell my kidneys for one.. ) so i know that a lens with a f/2.8 or f/3.5 would be horrible, and i have pump up my film speed to compensate for it...

with the recent booming of photography here in my country, the prices even for the old manual lenses is quite high, and the demand for it has gone up high too since everybody is looking for an alternative to the more expensive modern AF lenses... third party lenses is cheap here, but, i would have to search high and low for those mentioned above... i was lucky to get a 50mm f/1.8, but its Series E... but so far, im happy with the results im getting..

but i know, at the end of the day, after the light has gone, i would always put my 50mm back onto my cam... i just wish i could test the 35-105 Nikkor zoom lens that was offered to me for a bargain price and see it is good enough... i have my fm2n now, so, the zoom lenses would be mounted on it, and my 50mm f/1.8 will be mounted on a F3 (im still looking for one in good condition)... so, what do u guys think?
    I think a zoom is fine in the daylight. Once the sun goes down, you have much better options. Everything is a compromise in some way. You need different tools for different things. Don't expect one thing to do everything perfectly. I think you just have to decide what the one tool is that you lack, that is preventing you from doing the most at this point, and then save up for that tool. Do you find yourself wanting that tele in the daytime the most, or the fast wide at night? Do you find yourself wanting to zoom in or out more than either one of these? Don't try to solve all your problems with one item. Ask yourself what you are missing the most, and go for that item, IMHO.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    35mm
    Ive been on the look out for a decent zoom lens that is wide enough at the same time, not too long... Ive been offered a MF Nikkor Zoom 35-105 f/3.5, and its a bargain.. but ive read some reviews that its not that sharp...

recently I've found one that covers the length i want.. a Nikon Mount Vivitar 28-105 f/2.8.. and its cheap too, though i cant find any reviews here for that lens.. and im leaning towards the vivitar, though i know its not a nikon, but, it covers the length i want, and at the same time, its wider than the nikkor zoom... f/3.5 vs f/2.8?

i like to take photos at night and out in the streets... so larger openings is a plus.. sometimes, only sometimes, i find my 50mm f/1.8 limiting... but its sharp as hell...

you guys have any other suggestions? any third party lens i have to look out for?

i like primes too, but i have a limited budget, and i want a flexible lens that i can zoom in on my subject and take wide angle shots too... and Ive seen a nikkor 28-105 too.. but it costs an arm and a leg... two arms and two legs in fact..
    Fast Zooms are bulky (and really not that fast compared to primes).

I'd suggest looking for a 28-50mm f3.5 AIS, but your search may require some patience as only 20,000 or so were produced. Partner this with a 75-150mm f3.5 Series E. Both lenses accept 52mm filters and are reasonably compact and they are both of very nice optical quality.

If you can't find a 28-50mm you might consider a 35-70mm F3.5 AIS, or the 35-70mm f2.8 AFD. These are both excellent lenses but they are bulkier than the little 28-50, and they require 62mm filters.

For a one lens zoom solution I've had very good results with the 35-200mm f3.5-4.5 AIS. It's not particularly compact, but it's no bigger than most other 200mm options and it's smaller than many. Of course it's a stop slower at it's longer settings, but the optical quality is quite good and it's range makes it an very useful lens.
    Last edited by gratefulphotog; 02-15-2009 at 10:02 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    I must be lucky because I have a 43-86 zoom that I've used for years with really great results. My personal favorite zoom is the 50-135 f3.5. It was only made for a couple years and it came in AIS version only. I keep it on one of my Nikons all the time.

Shooter
    35mm
    thanks for all your help guys.. il try to look for those lens mentioned above... hopefully i will get a good lens..
    Flickr
    Multiply
    My PhotoBlog
    My Twitter!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Hello,

I would get two lenses to cover that range. I use the 1st generation Nikkor AF 35-70, f/2.8 and the Kiron 70-210mm, f/4 lenses with my manual Nikons. Other than that - and most of the time - I shoot primes on my manual bodies.

When I want a really good wide angle shot, I use my Nikkor 24mm AI lens.
    Jeff M

M3, M5, CLE, Minolta XE7, Minolta Maxxum 9, Minolta Maxxum 9000, Nikon F3HP, etc., etc.

Shooter
    35mm
    so still.. primes are the best way to go.. Kiron? did kiron made good glasses back then? all i know is sigma, tokina, tamron and vivitar.. i was offered a while ago with a chinon 85mm f/2.8... i dont know if its any good.. i didnt buy it..
    Flickr
    Multiply
    My PhotoBlog
    My Twitter!

Shooter
    35mm
    so still.. primes are the best way to go.. Kiron? did kiron made good glasses back then? all i know is sigma, tokina, tamron and vivitar.. i was offered a while ago with a chinon 85mm f/2.8... i dont know if its any good.. i didnt buy it..
    Kiron made their own lenses and made them for others like vivitar initially e.g. series 1, the Nikon series E 70-150mm was made by Kiron...they set a high standard and at least one of their lenses was up amongst the best in the world at the time.
    Kiron made a few "not so good" zooms........the Kiron Kid floats around on forums and he is really the expert or you can go to the Kiron-Klub:-

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Kiron-Klub/

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin