Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,700   Posts: 1,549,215   Online: 1185

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Is This Lens Fungus?

Hello all,

Please could you look at the pic in the link below and tell me what you think the marks in the upper right may be. They were extremely difficult to photograph and this is the best attempt out of 20 or so. The pattern covers about 100 degrees in terms of rotation of the lens and extends about 15 - 25% toward the centre. The marks have an odd 'three pronged' pattern and are denser in number toward the outer edges. Is this fungus?

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3440/...0536e5ff_b.jpg

Steve.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    This could be oil, is it yours ? Brand ? Maybe you could clean this yourself.

Fungus tends to be denser and no specs, some wire type image like fractals.

Peter

Shooter
    35mm
    It's a Nikkor 105/2.5. Mine as of this morning - a second hand buy from a UK shop (via the telephone).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd call the shop, you may need to send it back, the photos are difficult to asses, but from your description it might be fungus.

Ian

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Where are the spots ? On a lenssurface or inbetween them ?

Basicly I would unscrew the lensmount and take it off and than see how easy I could remove the rear lens part.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Don't tamper with the lens, that's bad advice as the shop won't take it back if there's signs you've tried taking it apart.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    The spots are on an internal lens surface. I think I'll call the shop Monday - pity, the lens feels nice and I was keen to try it out tomorrow.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by perkeleellinen View Post
    The spots are on an internal lens surface. I think I'll call the shop Monday - pity, the lens feels nice and I was keen to try it out tomorrow.
    The fungus I have seen looks like fine threads from a spider's web all over an intermal lens surface.

Surprisingly, people report that they can still get "good" images with such lenses.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Galah View Post
    The fungus I have seen looks like fine threads from a spider's web all over an intermal lens surface.

Surprisingly, people report that they can still get "good" images with such lenses.
    I've shot a few witha Zeiss that is full o fungus... as long as the subject isn't backlit, no worries. Backlighting however brings the fungus full force and the photos show it quite terribly. Also that looks more like a problem with the coating, not fungus. I'd still contact the shop though.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    from my knowledge of the nikon 105 they are some what prone to oiling up (popular hard working lens) like the others the fungs affected lenses ive seen look like little spider webs

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin