Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,523   Posts: 1,572,257   Online: 729

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

Nikon N80 Advice Needed

I cracked the LCD of my N80 today by mistake. I purchased it new a few years ago but only used it for three or four times before putting it away in storage. I have been usung my F3HP and F but got a bit tired of the exxtra weight (same reason I put my F100 away). When I placed my laptop computer near my N80, I mistakingly bumped the LCD with a corner of my computer. Now there is a spiderweb-like crack on the LCD. Will this crack grow? Is this something that can be repaired? Has this happened to anyone here? I know that I can pick up an N80 body for a low price, but I really think it's a shame being that this N80 has only seen about three or four rolls in its lifetime.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bummer 1.jpg   bummer 2.jpg  

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Is the info displayed distorted under the crack? I'm not at home to look, but I think you cracked the plastic cover shield. If I remember you can't push on the display and distort the LCD image--I think you will be ok.

Shooter
    35mm
    No, the info is not distorted (sigh of relief)! I wonder if there is a chance now for humidity to get through the spiderweb crack? It is very humid here in Florida and during the mornings and early evenings the humidity levels increase.

p.s. The crack is directly above the image of the line near the center of the LCD. The line still looks straight; the crack appears to be on the surface.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A crack this size does not seem to be too much of an issue. Does the display still work properly? If it still functions, don't worry too much about it. These are great cameras, and quite rugged. Both my daughter and I use one on a regular basis. (She got hers brand new, minus a warrantee card, for $42 off an ebay seller outside Detroit, which means that a repair is probably not a very cost effective fix if the display is shot.)

Good luck, and cheers...
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Toffle View Post
    A crack this size does not seem to be too much of an issue. Does the display still work properly? If it still functions, don't worry too much about it. These are great cameras, and quite rugged. Both my daughter and I use one on a regular basis. (She got hers brand new, minus a warrantee card, for $42 off an ebay seller outside Detroit, which means that a repair is probably not a very cost effective fix if the display is shot.)

Good luck, and cheers...

Thanks! Luckily it is not affecting the actual display underneath the crack (at least for now). On the flip side of all of this, at least I don't have to think about treating it too delicately from now on. I am usually very careful with my gear, but I won't have to worry about scratching this camera now that it has its first ding! Ironically it will now be used more!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If it were me, in your situation, I would cut a piece of the clear packaging tape to fit, and put it over the window. Cut it carefully and rub it down firmly and it should become an invisible barrier to keep any moisture out of the works.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by nyoung View Post
    If it were me, in your situation, I would cut a piece of the clear packaging tape to fit, and put it over the window. Cut it carefully and rub it down firmly and it should become an invisible barrier to keep any moisture out of the works.
    Thanks! I wonder if there is some sort of clear, hardening liquid which could be used to fill in the crack? I remember seeing something many years ago to repair cracked vehicle windshields without having to replace them. I know that the LCD is plastic, but maybe there is some type of liquid out there that would work?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by snegron View Post
    Thanks! I wonder if there is some sort of clear, hardening liquid which could be used to fill in the crack? I remember seeing something many years ago to repair cracked vehicle windshields without having to replace them. I know that the LCD is plastic, but maybe there is some type of liquid out there that would work?
    Just in case you have the urge, don't try superglue. It will fog the area around wherever you put it and make the plastic semi-opaque! Too bad, because it really holds well.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    There are plastic solvents and glues that I have used to construct things out of sheet plastic, but I wouldn't go that way with trying to repair the window plastic. I'd either cover it with a clear tape or adhesive plastic or contact a repair shop to see if parts are available. The cameras are just not worth that much, and bodies are available for a $100 or under most of the time. In fact for the abilities their probably one of the best values in the market, but kind of went the same way the 8008 series did. Mostly overlooked, thus prices went down faster. I own two.
    W.A. Crider

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You might try finding a protective plastic for an Mp3 player/cellphone or Ipod screen.
    Best buy etc. has them hanging on pegs waiting for you to make your selection. Peel & stick should work.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin