Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,232   Online: 736

Thread: AE-1 squeak

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

AE-1 squeak

Is there a quick and inexpensive fix for the common AE-1 shutter squeak? The camera works fine, but the squeak is annoying. AE-1 bodies are common and cheap (as am I), so I don't want to pay for any repair work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-157.html (I've not tried to fix my AE1P, and have to admit that this noise is extremely annoying)
    Laurent

---------------------------------------------------------------
    Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast (Oscar Wilde)

My APUG Blog

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Thanks for the link, but....

...after looking at the sketches, it appears that the work required to remove the top plate is beyond my patience. I guess I'll just have to find another body that doesn't squeak.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Try Gary's Camera Repair. http://www.garryscamera.com/ I've used them a couple of times. Fast & afordable ($45 +$8shipping).

Shooter
    35mm
    I've done the repair myself using the directions previously posted. It really was quite simple and didn't take long at all.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Remember too that the squeak isn't necessarily a problem. Its indicative that the body should have a CLA but unless the squeak is really bad you can use the body. The thing you'll notice is a slower sounding shutter cycle but its the mirror movement that slows, not the shutter itself. The squeak is caused by the mirror damper which can slow the mirror, which will delay the firing of the shutter. You end up with shutter lag just like a digital camera...Its really not that hard to fix, the toughest part, in my experience being the removal of the shutter button. Not much to get a grip on but unless its really tight a pair of dish washing gloves will usually do the trick. If you want some details on the whole operation let me know and I'll forward it on to you.

Ed

Shooter
    35mm
    I always thought AE1 was a bad camera. But the more expensive A1 showed the same problem.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Tried to repair it myself...................fried the camera.
    "If it ain't broke........"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The AE-1 isn't a bad camera at all, but the A-1 is nicer. The squeak is found in all the Canon A model bodies. I've fixed a couple A-1 squeaks, not hard really but it is fiddly and you have to be careful as your working essentially blind when you lube the mirror damper. Too much lube in the wrong spot can hurt the camera.
    Various Canons and Nikons. A Mamiya and a Bronica. A couple Brownies, and a Couple of Argus' (Argi?)

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin