Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,940   Posts: 1,557,459   Online: 888

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Med. Format RF

M42 mount.... desirable lenses

i just got a hold of some m42 adapters for both minolta af and manual bodies and while i've been reading up on the different lenses, i'd be curious to get people's opinions and recommendations on what to look out for. my only experience with screwmounts has been with a spotmatic and a couple of takumars (and that was about 30 years ago...grin)

many thanks

wayne

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Takumars & SMC Takumars are great lenses, I also have some Tamron SP lenses the advantage is I have ES/F M42 adapters as well as K/M mount so can use them on my Spotmatics or bayonet mount Pentaxs & Chinons.

There was a great f2.8 28-90 S1 Vivitar lens not strictly a zoom, also a 28mm f1.9 S1 and I'd like to get them in screw mount for my Spotmatics, they rarely seem to come up for sale. I had the early S1 f3.5 70-210 zoom which is every sharp and again worth buying.

Ian

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    i'm specifically looking for portrait lenses, somewhere between 70 to 135. and a decent wide...don't really want to start collecting unless someone comes up with something too good to refuse...grin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The f1.9 85mm Takumar or SMC version is a superb portrait lens but seems to fetch quite high prices, and the fast f2 35mm Takumar is a nice lens too.

I have a good 105mm f2.5 Tamron which is a nice portrait lens I think I paid about £8/$12 for it about 3 years ago.

Ian

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    ok. i'll start looking

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Vivitar 90mm S1 and SMC 105 2.8, I have both along with the SMC 80 1.8 and of the 3 the 105 is my usal choice, but if you have Minolta bodies I would go for a Minolta 100 or 105. I had a Minotla 90mm in Leica SM, one of the best lens I ever owned.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by wayne naughton View Post
    i'm specifically looking for portrait lenses, somewhere between 70 to 135. and a decent wide...don't really want to start collecting unless someone comes up with something too good to refuse...grin
    The Schacht 90mm f/2.8 is an extremely sharp lens and has practically the same performance and signature as my Zeiss 85mm f/2.8.
    You can probably pick it up quite cheaply, if you find one.

Unfortunately, like the Zeiss, it might be too sharp, incisive & unforgiving for many portraits...

Nice wides are the 35mm f/2.8 Schneider Curtagon (the Pentax Takumar 35mm f/3.5 has almost the same performance & look - very massive & solid imagry) and the Zeiss Jena Flektogons (35mm, 25mm & 20mm).
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Jupiter-9 85mm f/2 is a very cheap and nice lens, especially if you intend to use it wide open. It's a preset lens, so you need to stop down manually before you take the picture, but it has a very nice signature for a low price.

Also of interest, but shorter, is the Helios-44M 58mm f/2, a russian copy of the Zeiss Biotar. The "M" one has auto diaphragm. I've just started using it and will have pictures later on, but the construction is very good for the price.

Most of the Carl Zeiss Jena are worth checking too. I had a 50mm f/2.8 Tessar that really had a nice look, and I keep chastising myself for selling it. The 135mm Sonnar would probably be very cheap (nobody seems to like 135mm).

Otherwise, the Takumars are in many respects the cream of the crop in terms of bokeh, build quality, colour transmission, etc. My 135mm f/3.5 Takumar was incredible and cheap. The 105mm could be a good, albeit harder to find option, but the 85mm are impossible to get for a reasonable price.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Sonnar 180/2,8! Might be a bit longer than what you wanted, but an interesting optic nonetheless.
    Can be found with MC (black version) or without MC (black-chrome).
    Biotar 75/1,5 is also interesting, but expensive.
    Greetz, Benjamin

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Michel Hardy-Vallée View Post
    My 135mm f/3.5 Takumar was incredible and cheap.
    Another vote for the 135mm f/3.5 SMC Takumar, I used to have a Spotmatic with this lens and a 55mm f/1.8 Super Takumar. These are sharp lenses, and they are not very expensive.

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin