Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,112   Posts: 1,612,939   Online: 1174

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Nikkor 35/1.4 opinions sought

Seems like a good combination of speed and angle for day to day shooting that often goes indoors. The price is high, hence the question. What's it like? Please bear in mind I enlarge no bigger than 5"x7".

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    They are nice if you need f/1.4. I got to borrow an AI version for a few weeks one time, and I loved it.

Pricewise, you are better off if you have an early body, as the early versions of Nikon lenses are cheaper than the AI versions.

Keep in mind that the 35mm f/2.0 has the same hand held light gathering ability as a 50mm f/1.4, due to the one over focal length rule letting you [carefully] use the 35mm at '30. If you find yourself being able to get enough exposure with your 50mm 1.4, you can get by just fine with the 35mm f/2.0.

Of course, this means the 35mm 1.4 has twice the hand held low light ability as the 50mm 1.4.......

I have the 35mm f/2.0 and the 50mm f/1.4 (both F versions), and I love them both. The 1.4 is on my list, however......but only since I shoot a lot in very low light, not because I have any complaints about the f/2.0.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 02-20-2009 at 05:02 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just got a copy of the 35mm f2, shooting with it right now to see the results. I have to say for the price I paid for my lens ($30!) I'd be hard pressed to look for the $700 35mm f1.4

Shooter
    35mm
    The lens is a whisker short of £900 new at Robert White and Amazon. In fact it's so alarmingly easy to buy this lens new at amazon that I must be careful not to be online after a few beers. I cannot justify buying this lens new.

2F/2F: If I follow you correctly, I think you're saying that hand-held I can shoot the 35/2 at 1/30 compared to 1/60 for the 50/1.4. A convincing argument until you follow it through to its logical conclusion: the 35/1.4 implies the difference between 1/15 and 1/30 in even lower light.

I hadn't considered the 35/2 to be honest but I did once have the 28/2 and was rather disappointed with the image in the corners. Now, I'm not sure if my example was bad - but I found it very soft and distorted corner-wise at f2.

I can get the 35/1.4 2nd hand for around £500 - I haven't found a 35/2 yet. I'm thinking I could part fund the purchase by trading in my 45/2.8.

Oh, and I have an FM2n.
    Last edited by perkeleellinen; 02-20-2009 at 09:44 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: spelling

Shooter
    35mm
    I never owned a 35/1.4 although I really wanted one. Used to own the 35/2.0 AF, and I used it in low light with some success. I could definitely handhold it at 1/30 and maybe 1/15 if I was careful. If money is an issue, go for the 35/2.0.
    “Art is what we call... the thing an artist does." Seth Godin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The 35mm f/2 was the first lens I purchased for my first Nikon SLR (the original F). The 35mm f/2 had been my favorite lens (on 35mm format) for years until it was dethroned by the 35mm f/1.4. I needed the light gathering feature provided by that extra stop.

When I first purchased the f/1.4 version, I did not expect it to perform as well as the f/2 version. However, I was pleasantly surprised to discover that I suffered no loss in image quality by using the f/1.4 version.

I still own and use both lenses. Both are great lenses. I just wish Nikon would make an auto focus version of the 35mm f/1.4.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I had it for a while, but wasn't impressed by its signature, though it was very sharp stopped down.

In the Nikon range, my favorite 35mm remains the f/2.0

If Zeiss ever produces its 35mm f/1.4 in Nikon mount, I'd highly reccomend it, as it has one of the best "looks" I've ever found in a lens.
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    35mm
    35/1.4 is a nice lens but expensive enough to give you pause.
    Bought my AIS used probably 15 years ago when prices were a little more rational.
    Bright and very easy to focus. Slight softness at edges wide open disappears quickly on stopping down. Razor-sharp with good color rendition from f/4 to 7/11. You can go to 11x14 easily.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by perkeleellinen View Post
    2F/2F: If I follow you correctly, I think you're saying that hand-held I can shoot the 35/2 at 1/30 compared to 1/60 for the 50/1.4. A convincing argument until you follow it through to its logical conclusion: the 35/1.4 implies the difference between 1/15 and 1/30 in even lower light.
    I mentioned this in my post.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    I mentioned this in my post.
    You did indeed, I hope I wasn't labouring the point, it is, of course, the main reason for looking at this lens.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin