Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,943   Posts: 1,557,605   Online: 1225

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I'm getting the sense that this is some sort of riddle.

Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner View Post
    Her red dress always came out black.
    On what basis did she judge the overexposure?

Shooter
    35mm
    What Nikon camera was that? Sounds like a symptom an old Photomic meter might exhibit if it was failing.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Guess I missed the deadline...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    [QUOTE=tiberiustibz;756616]I'm getting the sense that this is some sort of riddle.
    In a sense it was because one has to go from where the person asking for a solution to the problem is "at." They can't always provide the info we need to solve the problem in the first go around. I used to try to train the kids who worked for me to speak "customereeze." This was not a pro shop with professional customers; just every day people. Learning to ask the right questions was very important.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    What Nikon camera was that? Sounds like a symptom an old Photomic meter might exhibit if it was failing.
    Don't remember. I know it was not an F, though; a Photomic would stick in my memory. Some of the various situations were pretty amusing: like the lady who insisted the lab "had mixed her pictures up with someone elses." Yup, it happens. And she got half a roll of her pix, and some of another person's. Yup, that happens to. And, not only that, the lab mixed up her pictures with her mother's pictures. Hmmm, sez I to meself, sez I as I put the tracer book back.. It transpired they were on vacation together; with the same P and S cameras; Is it possible, I finally ask, that perhaps you just picked up her camera by mistake one day......???. Oh, yeh, I guess that's it, sez she.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a couple of Olympus bodies that feature metering off the film. I've always wondered if there is any significant variation of reflectivity between film types. I was going to suggest that as a cause, if no one else came up with a solution.

Matt

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    I have a couple of Olympus bodies that feature metering off the film. I've always wondered if there is any significant variation of reflectivity between film types. I was going to suggest that as a cause, if no one else came up with a solution.

Matt
    That's an interesting point, Matt. One would ASS u ME that the emulsion reflectance would be pretty consistent; but I wonder......

Shooter
    Medium Format
    There are slight differences between films, yes.
    So you need to learn how your favourite films behave, and possibly adjust your metering accordingly.

Old data, but illustrative all the same:

Shooter
    35mm
    Is that data from Olympus? I understand that most common-speed exposures were actualy metered mostly off the shutter curtains, and only longer tripod-domain exposures metered off the film itself.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It's data from Hasselblad, to be used with their OTF flash metering.
    They measured the reflectivity of the films available then.

You're partly right about the curtains.
    Anything of 1/60 and longer is meassured entirely (or as near as) off film.
    Faster speeds progressively more off the curtains, increasingly less off the film.

P.S.

Or have i got it wrong now, and is the OTF measuring only used for longer speeds indeed?
    Last edited by Q.G.; 02-22-2009 at 12:17 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin