Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,704   Posts: 1,548,474   Online: 862

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'll add one more for AnscoJohn. Many years back, in my dad's camera shop back in the U.K. a woman came storming in complaining that the lab had printed her pictures upside down! You got it...........she was holding the stack of photos.......UPSIDE DOWN!! I'm really not kidding! This must be forty years ago now and that sort of thing kinds sticks in your memory!!!!
    "Why is there always a better way?"

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BobNewYork View Post
    I'll add one more for AnscoJohn. Many years back, in my dad's camera shop back in the U.K. a woman came storming in complaining that the lab had printed her pictures upside down! You got it...........she was holding the stack of photos.......UPSIDE DOWN!! I'm really not kidding! This must be forty years ago now and that sort of thing kinds sticks in your memory!!!!
    I can believe it, totally. And just consider....these people VOTE!
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by BobNewYork View Post
    people do that a lot, they also say things like "i need a 10x8 not an 8x10 because its horizontal".....

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bob100684 View Post
    people do that a lot, they also say things like "i need a 10x8 not an 8x10 because its horizontal".....
    And how about the young bride who could not understand why the shoes that showed in the 5x7 did not show in the 8x10.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I don't understand that either.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Q.G. to print full borderless prints onto an 8"x10" sheet of paper, you will have to crop one end of a 35mm negative. Usually one will crop the feet, not the head, although

Basically the proportions of a 5"x7" piece of paper are reasonably close to a 35mm negative, proportion wise. The 8"x10" paper is different.

Actually A4 B&W paper from Ilford is very close to the 35mm proportions and enlarges with virtually no cropping.

Mick.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yes.
    I still don't understand.

The young bride in the example bought some images. She liked one well enough to want a larger version of it.
    And then the photographer says it can't be done, because paper happens to come in certain sizes, so she has to make do with a different image.

No matter how i try, i simply cannot understand.
    I don't understand how people let paper confection sizes determine what will be in the image and what will not.

Strikes me as something extremely silly. Extremely unprofessional.
    And that's an understatement extreme in size too.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    MANY years ago, Eaton's had a photofinishing service. Black and white photos were processed and delivered in a little album with front and back covers, and deckel edges on the prints. I still have one of those little albums, with the pictures in it upside down. (or the covers were upside down, depending on your point of view...)
    Rick Jason.
    "I'm still developing"

Shooter
    Medium Format
    QG - when the aspect ratio, (length vs width) of a negative differs from that of the print size cropping is inevitable. In the case of the bride a 5x7 print included the shoes. An 8x10 print, being a "squatter" aspect ratio will entail either cutting off her shoes - or her head! The alternative would be a 7.15 x 10 print - which would maintain the same length by width ratio, and thereby include both head and shoes. It's not silly and unprofessional - it's just physics.
    "Why is there always a better way?"

Shooter
    Medium Format
    No, Bob.

The decision to alter the image, just because if you don't you would 'waste' a bit of paper is not physics.

It is silly. And unprofessional.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin