Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,678   Posts: 1,482,063   Online: 838

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I would take both. The Olympus takes up hardly any room, and there are times when you'll want the Nikon but other times when you don't want the bulk and weight of the Nikon and the Olympus will do.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Don't know... The ideal choice would probably be a rangefinder (smaller, lighter, unobtrusive and - in most cases - as reliable as your Nikon).

That is my lightweight travel set, with 90mm, 35mm & 21mm (+ sometimes 15mm) lenses.

Had the XA for many years, but the lens, while ok, is no match for a good rangefinder one.
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd take it all. Most hotels will let you put equipment into their safe while you are out. Even if they charge for that, it should not be much, and would be good insurance.
    Speaking of insurance, do you have any, and does it cover you while traveling?
    Eddy McDonald
    www.fotoartes.com
    Eschew defenestration!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I think I'll just go with the olympus XA + A11 flash + maybe my Gitzo tripod + spare set of batteries.
    Question: Does the Olympus XA RF go out of alignment?
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    To choose between the options that you specify, it depends on how important photography is to you on this trip. Your 2 cameras certainly represent extremes, of size and weight, in 35mm cameras. A medium sized camera would have advantages of both. (smaller/lighter to carry, but with lens options and exposure control)
    Art should unsettle the comfortable, and comfort the unsettled.

My photo website: http://frankfoto.jimdo.com/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by frank View Post
    To choose between the options that you specify, it depends on how important photography is to you on this trip. Your 2 cameras certainly represent extremes, of size and weight, in 35mm cameras. A medium sized camera would have advantages of both. (smaller/lighter to carry, but with lens options and exposure control)
    It is pretty important to me, but I find I can do 90% of photography with the Olympus that I can do with the Nikon. The only things are better metering for some situations, shutter speed control, and the option to use the 50mm for portraits, which I can use the olympus for anyways.

I think the XA +flash+tripod and a olympus stylus epic as a backup would be good.
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'd take a Yashica Electro 35 GSN or MG-1; or a Lynx 14e with the 1.4 lens. They are all three great for street or low light situations; besides being small and you can stick them in your pocket (a big pocket)

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Take an SLR and the Olympus XA. The XA takes up so little space that it's the perfect camera to have when you don't want to haul lots of gear.

And when you want the flexibility of different lenses, you'll have the SLR.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Hello,

The F5 is a beast, will draw attention and ruin opportunities for candids. That - along with the fact it won't matrix meter my AI/s lenses - is the reason I got rid of mine years ago and went back to an F4, which is modular in its power / grip configurations and WILL matrix meter. All you're losing is "color" matrix metering and distance metering with flash photography - both of which in my book were just marketing ploys, as they never effected my shooting (basicall: tools to make average shooters shoot like good shooters). The F4 - with the MB14(? - can't remember the designation of the film back) will do practically everything the F5 will do and with an AF-S lens will focus nearly or as fast as the F5 (and if you're shooting AI/s lenses, it just doesn't matter.

If you want people to say, "OOOH, he's got a REAL camera! He must take good pictures!" take the F5. If you want to take great candids of your vacation and not get a bicep workout in the process - and if you're not going to take my advice and run out and get an F4, shoot the XA.
    Jeff M

M3, M5, CLE, Minolta XE7, Minolta Maxxum 9, Minolta Maxxum 9000, Nikon F3HP, etc., etc.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Markok765 View Post
    Yeah, but I don't really want to be walking around with all that stuff all day long.
    Why do you have to walk around with it all, or even any of it some of the time? Have time for photos, and time to just enjoy the time away from home. It's always nice to have a bit of free time without the worry of taking photos.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin