Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,550   Posts: 1,544,702   Online: 923

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Camera for vacation?

I'm going on vacation in the summer, and I'm considering what camera to bring.
    Either Nikon System or Olympus:

Nikon:
    F5, 28mm, 50mm, SB600
    Pros: Professional, I know it won't break
    Great Metering
    Fast
    Cons:
    Large, and sometimes obtrusive. I also don't want to have to carry it if I go to a restaurant or something.

Olympus:
    Olympus XA and A11 Flash
    Pros
    Small
    Quiet
    Great lens
    Cons:
    Rangefinder[sometimes hard to focus]
    Not as reliable[though I think it would be plenty reliable]
    Less features for less situations[eg no bounced flash]

What do you guys think?
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    35mm
    I have about the same equipment like you, the F5 and the XA. I would bring the XA, the F5 is very difficult to use in situation like a restaurant etc.. Not so much about the bulk and weight but people look as me funny with the F5.
    I generally bring the FM chrome body with only the 50mm lens on vacation. The FM is smaller and in chrome, it looks like an old camera, people don't feel uncomfortable with it around.
    Just my feeling.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Depends on where you are going to.

If you take the F5 with you, you might take the Oly aswell.
    I would take them both with me if I had just that, otherwise my RB 67 with a couple of lenses will do fine.......
    But he, I am the idiot that looks at a holyday as a photo opertunity........

Peter

Images
    Good Morning, Marko,

Your method of travel should be considered. If you travel by car, size and weight become relatively minor factors; if you're flying, the limited luggage space argues for something more minimal.

Konical

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Well, I'll be traveling by plane, but I have one carry on bag, and I could bring my photo bag as a carry on.
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    There's your answer, right there.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Yeah, but I don't really want to be walking around with all that stuff all day long.
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There could be lots of answers here. If I'm traveling by car, I may take tons of stuff, depending on what sort of time and opportunity I think I will have for photography. If flying, I may tighten up quite a bit. I admit things may not be 100% safe in a hotel, but if staying in hotels I take two cameras and may leave one at the hotel at least some of the time to walk the streets a bit lighter.

On any significant trip I like to have two cameras, just in case the primary one decides to conk out. The second might be as mundane as a small P&S of the type whose name cannot be mentioned, but at least I would return with something to show. Subject matter would also affect my choice -- street shooting and candids vs landscapes, etc. I almost never take a flash (unless it's built in) as I don't do too much interior stuff and like available light when I do. (And some places one may visit -- museums, churches, etc. may frown on flash anyway.) On one overseas trip with my A-1 intended as the main shooter, I used an Elph Jr (APS) as backup, and in fact ended up taking probably 65% of my pictures with it; it was more than adequate for snapshots. I limited myself to a 50mm 1.4 and 35-70 f3.5 on the A-1, leaving home my 35-105 f3.5 macro zoom which is a great lens but weighs more than the camera and is quite large.

DaveT

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I agree with Konical on that it depends how you're traveling. Given your options I'd go for the XA as I'd want something that isn't obtrusive as a full SLR. Personally I prefer my N80 for lightness.

Never ever check a camera under the plane. Or film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would go for the Olympus XA and flash. It is easlier and lighter.

Jeff

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin