Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,702   Posts: 1,482,659   Online: 687

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    35mm
    I would take the Spotmatic and add a Vivitar 28/2.5 wide angle as well as an extension tube for the 55.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

Definite consider a 35mm rf kit. Small and lightwieght.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Just a follow up from after the trip...

I took the Spotmatic with 1.8/55 and Rollei 35 with me on the trip. And I regretted not taking the advise of bringing a wide angle lens with me, even though I am mainly a normal lens person, I suppose travelling means you get to come across a lot of wide angle situations and perhaps a 35 or 28 mm would have been more suitable.

So, without the wide angel lens, I think I should have just taken the Rollei given the space/function ration. Or better still a Trip 35, but mine was broken at the time.

On another point, I visited the genocide museum in Phenom pehn in Cambodia, it is a museum that document the atrocities of the Khmer Rouge. I won;t go into details here, you can read it yourself here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuol_Sleng

Two things that stand out might be interesting for members of this forum.

There were exhitbits of the contact prints of the documentary photos of the vicitms when they were admitted into the camp. It was a little though provoking to think that for many of the vicitms, they only trace of their existence and suffering were documented on a strip of medium format material that reads KODAK SAFETY FILM on the edge, no names, just horrified eyes staring into a camera.

The other thing that caught my attention was what was the remains of an print enlarger standing abondanded on one of the stairwells. One does wonder how much horrors this piece of equipment must have seen.

I didn't take any photos that day.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    When you're in Cambodia and on a tour, they used to advise you not to stray from the path, because of the possibility of land mines.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamster View Post
    I am planning on backpacking through south east asia for 2 months. The plan is to travel light and have high mobility.

The choice is between a Spotmatic with 55/1.8 and Electro 35 GSN with 45/1.7 for this trip. I would really like to take some photos indoor hence the fast lens. Since they are the similar size and weight I really couldn't decide.

I would also bring a Rollei 35 for to keep me happy if the fast camera is lost or broken.

Any suggestions which one are better for a long trip?
    If you're afflicted with Spotmaticitis, there is only one cure. Buy as many Tamron Adaptall II lenses as you can. With the interchangeable mounts, including a Spotmatic F, ES, ESII mount, you can use these lenses & if you ever decide to upgrade, all you have to do is change mounts. Just check the mounts, because some have a tendency to underexpose, but put that mount on a different lens & it works fine.
    Once you find a match leave it, it won't go wrong.

I would recommend the: 17 mm f 3.5, 24 mm f 2.5, the 35 - 105 mm f 2.8 ASL &
    the 80 - 200 mm f 2.8 lens that is " L ", sharp. Look on eBay.

This is inline with my motto:
    " Buy once, Buy right, Move On. "

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My cousin spends a couple of months every winter bicycling around S.E.Asia he usually has a couple of Nikon bodies along with a half dozen lenses. He also makes use of the buses to get where he needs a little quicker, to keep with schedules. Soooo......
    Rick

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin