Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,565   Posts: 1,545,344   Online: 999

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Whatever film I happen to be consuming at the time.
    No seriously I lean towards the fuji myself but haven't shot color in a long time. Most of my color tends to be slide and I don't buy "consumer" on that stuff.
    "There is something about the mystery
    of what is on a roll of film that keeps
    me shooting, none of that digital
    instant gratification for me."

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoJim View Post

It doesn't hurt that I can get the Superia films for less money though, which boggles the mind as one would think that shipping from Rochester, NY to Regina, SK would be cheaper than from Tokyo.

One word - Walmart. Have you noticed? All the Walmart one hour machines I've seen are Fuji. Fuji C-41 films you buy in four or five packs in Walmart have a printed message on the cartridge reminding you "Return to Walmart for Processing." And the roll of 120 Velvia I dropped at Walmart for processing is going to Fujicolor USA.

Can we all say "special relationship" between the world's largest retailer and what I suspect is becoming the world's largest remaining film manufacturer.

My favorite "consumer" films - Fuji 200/400 - because I always get them at Walmart (24/7 if its a super Walmart) if I run out of my "pro" emulsions on the road.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Tri-X. Hey, I can still find it some of the local drug stores, so it must be a consumer film, right? It's been a long time since I've seen plus-x there, though. Admittedly, I don't actually buy it in the drug store, since I bulk load my b&w, but if I had to...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Fuji Superia 200, I've used it since it's release.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Anon Ymous View Post
    Kodak Gold 200 or 100. Both are just fine. The equivalent Superia is not bad either, but Gold is my preference, based on the color palette. IMHO Superia is a bit colder and gives somewhat strange greens, while Gold gives warmish/neutral tones. Of course, my observations are based on prints I get from minilabs, but given the big sample from various labs that's probably true.
    Well what's wrong with these greens from Supera 200........Konica C35, neg scanned with Epson 2480.

I've bought 100 rolls of supera 200 off the bay, works out about 32p each, just out of date..........Mind you I like Kodak gold 200 as well and look for it at boot sales for 10 or 20p.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think the Superia 200 is a great all-round film. Fast enough for most low light and nice grain. But what I really like is the color palette.

- Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    35mm
    Sensia 200.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kodachrome 64!
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    35mm
    Excalibur2,

the greens at the photo you posted are fine! But it's a scan of a negative viewed at a monitor. It's not a print and far too many variables involved. The comment I made earlier was based on my experience from prints that others have made for me, but not from just 2-3 labs. Somehow, whenever I get these greens from Mars they're almost always from a superia. I don't know, Gold could be more "foolproof"?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoJim View Post
    It doesn't hurt that I can get the Superia films for less money though, which boggles the mind as one would think that shipping from Rochester, NY to Regina, SK would be cheaper than from Tokyo.
    The recent unwinding of the yen carry trade may change that a bit, wit the yen now being 20-30% more expensive relative to the dollar than it was a few months ago.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin