Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,043   Posts: 1,610,680   Online: 1037

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Portra or Superia

Just shooting a roll of Reala at the moment so will be nice to see how that comes out, but mainly have shot Portra

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Ektagraphic View Post
    You can get Portra at WalMart!!??
    IIRC Kodak BW400 (c41 black and white) film was part of the Portra line before it was made a consumer film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    Superia Reala is also available in 120 but only in 100 ISO, I use a lot of it in my Mamiyas and find it excellent for general photography in reasonable lighting conditions.
    Reala is my favorite color neg emulsion, for situations when I need a medium-speed film. I am so glad it is being imported again!

Too bad Superia is only available in the 100 emulsion. Some medium format Press 1600 would be a killer tool!

I don't understand why we need so many varieties of daylight-balanced 100-160 films. It is really screwy. How can the market demand a dozen different 100-160 films, but not a single fast tungsten film?
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 03-15-2009 at 05:51 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    35mm
    Kodak Gold 200...I've been using that stuff since it first came out...Great balance of good color and smallish grain.
    Dann Fassnacht
    Aberdeen, WA USA

glockman99@hotmail.com
    -------------------------------------
    My film cameras are all Nikons: F3HP, F4s, N90s, N8008, N8008s.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Reala.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman99 View Post
    Kodak Gold 200...I've been using that stuff since it first came out...Great balance of good color and smallish grain.
    Well I've just bought a cheap neg scanner about a month ago so have had some experience by now, and put a strip of negs in yesterday (from shots taken 2 years ago in sunny conditions) and had problems with colours and grain, WTF! check the neg and it was Kodak 200asa (film edge 200-7) the prints were VG and scanned them instead.
    Well while I've had colour problems now and again scanning fuji superia 200 negs, I've never seen grain from a low asa properly exposed colour neg before.
    Maybe a warning to scanners, that you might get grain from Kodak 200?

Shooter
    35mm
    Colors in scans can be a problem because of software issues. You may be able to tweak settings or switch software to improve matters. I've got a procedure I follow with my software (VueScan) that works for me.

Grain may be exaggerated in scans because of grain aliasing. This is a somewhat controversial topic, but the basic idea is that the random pattern of grain (or, technically, dye clouds in color film) interacts with the highly regular pixel pattern of a scanner to exaggerate the appearance of grain in scans. With my Minolta DiMAGE Scan Elite 5400 at 2700 dpi, I usually see this in color films of ISO 400 and faster. The effect can be reduced by scanning at higher resolutions. There are also post-scanning grain-reduction algorithms, but in my experience they tend to create slightly blurry images.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by srs5694 View Post
    Colors in scans can be a problem because of software issues. You may be able to tweak settings or switch software to improve matters. I've got a procedure I follow with my software (VueScan) that works for me.

Grain may be exaggerated in scans because of grain aliasing. This is a somewhat controversial topic, but the basic idea is that the random pattern of grain (or, technically, dye clouds in color film) interacts with the highly regular pixel pattern of a scanner to exaggerate the appearance of grain in scans. With my Minolta DiMAGE Scan Elite 5400 at 2700 dpi, I usually see this in color films of ISO 400 and faster. The effect can be reduced by scanning at higher resolutions. There are also post-scanning grain-reduction algorithms, but in my experience they tend to create slightly blurry images.
    I've come across this in B/W negs and it might have been you that answered me. erm now colour, maybe a one off from Kodak..but if I see a pattern will post....no problem with fuji 200 and 1600 asa so far.

Shooter
    35mm
    Well in further tests have found Kodak 200 asa, film edge 200-7 is poor for scanning (but only two films tested so far)..I'm getting better results (sharper and clearer) from the same scanned 4X6" print at 600dpi, even though I scanned the neg at 1200dpi.
    It's not the scanner (epson 2480) as this is fuji 200asa, scanned at 1200dpi, taken with a canon 28mm:-

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3183172...21640/sizes/l/

Maybe it's some dodgy Kodak film, or someone can prove otherwise?

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin