Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,879   Online: 955

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Nikon-zoom problem

Fellow Apuggers,
    My Nikon 20~35 f2.8 zoom has developed a problem. Just to familiarise you with this lens; it employs a manual/autofocus button on the lens. Once AF has been selected on the camera body, AF can be engaged/disengaged on the lens as necessary. Whilst using AF, the focus ring rotates freely. Trouble is, after using AF and returning the lens to manual , the focus ring doesn't 'pick-up' the focus gear inside and continues to rotate freely. After turning the focus ring for some time - first one way and then the other - it will eventually re-engage, but it seems to be getting worse and taking longer each time I use it. Curiously, it seems to be more troublesome when it's cold. Any thoughts? Many thanks, B.
    Norman is an island.Time and tide wait for Norman.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sorry, I just realised I shoud have posted this on the repair, cam mod bit.
    Norman is an island.Time and tide wait for Norman.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    It sounds like a lubrication problem, hopefully, than just a CLA will do the trick.
    As grease (and oil) gets older it becomes more sticky.
    When you put your lens into AF it dis-enganges the connection between the ring and the real focussing mechanism.
    When you put it into MF again it should engage quickly again.

Peter

Shooter
    35mm
    I agree, send it to service, it's not a big problem. I had a similar problem with a nikkor zoom but it seems a plastic part was the culprit. Darn plastics! It makes lenses lighter, all right, but they are so annoying...

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin