Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,940   Posts: 1,585,652   Online: 879

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Olympus OM10: advice please?

Hi all,

Over the weekend I found myself an Olympus OM10 at a "junkshop".

It came with a 50/1.8 Zuiko lens (a 80-200/4.5 Hanimex zoom) and a power winder.

Neither the body not the winder was working -ostensibly because the batteries were flat (in the body) and there were no batteries in the winder.

Since I already have several OM Zuiko lenses (and the price was lowish), I thought this could make a "good" second body and was willing to take a chance on everthing working (once new batteries were inserted).

Once home, dusted, and new batteries inserted, everything seemed to be OK -except the selector switch (below the rewind lever) was "flapping" loose in the breeze, although "working".:-(

Is this a common problem and is it fixable?

Any comments/suggestions appreciated.
    Last edited by Galah; 03-01-2009 at 07:46 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    If it's the slider/lever that takes the setting off auto to "b" easily then you have a problem.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur2 View Post
    If it's the slider/lever that takes the setting off auto to "b" easily then you have a problem.
    No, its the one on the opposite side, the one that gives you "on", "off", "battery check" and the "delayed release". (It sits under and is concentric with the rewind lever)

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Galah View Post
    No, its the one on the opposite side, the one that gives you "on", "off", "battery check" and the "delayed release". (It sits under and is concentric with the rewind lever)
    Dumb me you'd think I know the difference from the shutter and rewind lever..:-)...well mine is fairly stiff and has a slight click to on/off postition.

When you pull the rewind lever up, check that the split retaining washer is in place, it's above the chrome washer... the chrome washer seems to be fitted into the selector switch.
    Last edited by Excalibur2; 03-02-2009 at 06:52 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    The defect you mention is common. Probably, metal spring of ZC2085 (which is held on with plastic posts) usually breaks off, making the switch all floppy. My fix is to drill out plastic posts and insert screws with a large flat head. John, www.zuiko.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by John Hermanson View Post
    The defect you mention is common. Probably, metal spring of ZC2085 (which is held on with plastic posts) usually breaks off, making the switch all floppy. My fix is to drill out plastic posts and insert screws with a large flat head. John, www.zuiko.com
    Thanks both John and excalibur2 for responding.

Yes, the split washer is in place.

John, thanks very much for the tip. I myself am a bit of a "klutz" at things mechnical, but I will pass on your suggestion to "my" repairman.

Thanks again

Shooter
    Multi Format

Great news!

First, thanks to all who made helpful suggestions.

I took my "baby" to the local "camera doctor" and the problem has been fixed: the selector switch operates perfectly with positive clicks and stays in place as it should, the "re-activator" lever (under the shutter release button) now operates and we have new light seals around the rear door. Its all go!

I have already put a roll of film through it, using my latest OM lens (the Zuiko 35-70mm f/3.5~4.5 zoom) and am waiting for the prints to arrive.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Galah View Post
    First, thanks to all who made helpful suggestions.

I took my "baby" to the local "camera doctor" and the problem has been fixed: the selector switch operates perfectly with positive clicks and stays in place as it should, the "re-activator" lever (under the shutter release button) now operates and we have new light seals around the rear door. Its all go!

I have already put a roll of film through it, using my latest OM lens (the Zuiko 35-70mm f/3.5~4.5 zoom) and am waiting for the prints to arrive.
    As you have just had it serviced.........without a film, wind the shutter, point camera to something say to get 1/15 sec..and while taking the pic does the shutter speed in the viewfinder drop to 1/8 then 1/4 then back up to 1/15...or pointing the camera at something for 1/250 sec does it drop to 1/125 then backup.....if it doesn't, then mine might have the sticky magnet problem.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As you have just had it serviced.........without a film, wind the shutter, point camera to something say to get 1/15 sec..and while taking the pic does the shutter speed in the viewfinder drop to 1/8 then 1/4 then back up to 1/15...or pointing the camera at something for 1/250 sec does it drop to 1/125 then backup.....if it doesn't, then mine might have the sticky magnet problem.
    OK, I'll try it tonight & report back asap. I can't say I have noticed this phenomenon as yet.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Waddaya know!

Well, waddya know!:o You're right, Excalibur2, the viewfinder reading behaves exactly as you have pointed out (above). I'm amazed I hadn't noticed this before!

However, the negatives seem to come out exposed OK, so it can't be a problem (at least, so far).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin