Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,057   Posts: 1,611,215   Online: 813

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My Minolta X-700 has program, aperture priority and manual (no shutter priority). I keep it on aperture priority most of the time and only switch to manual on rare occasions. It has worked out well for 24 years. The creativity comes from the mind not the camera.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Sukach View Post
    ???? Are you serious, darinwc ???
    Actually I'd like to revise my statement to say that all photographers, including pros, amateurs, and soccer moms want aperture priority.

Seriously man, take it easy.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by darinwc View Post
    Actually I'd like to revise my statement to say that all photographers, including pros, amateurs, and soccer moms want aperture priority.
    Sorry about that. I seem to have lost my notification that you were now Boss, Pronouncer of Ultimate Truths, and Supreme Representative of ... ME!

Seriously man, take it easy.
    I'll take this easily: I HAVE NO preference for aperture prority - or shutter speed, or depth-of-field, or phases of the moon. What works, works, and I'm going to stay flexible enough to use it, whatever it is.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    35mm
    The sad fact for me, is that most manual modes besides the oldschool scale-matching systems are actually more confusing than liberating.

I use aperture priority 90% of the time because I don't have any cameras that have what i consider a good manual mode. A good manual mode is either a match-needle setup like the Canon AT-1/Olympus OM-1, or a match-LED setup like the Pentax LX. With a manual mode this good, there is no reason to use aperture priority mode. IMO many manual modes on auto-exposure cameras are tacked-on and too slow for anything but tripod use. LED scales (like my Nikon F801), numerical "+/-" readouts (Pentax Program A), or having to press buttons to match the meter (as on the Pentax ME Super) is too slow and just doesn't cut it. Even the F100's meter readout is too fiddly for me, despite the fast aperture and shutter dials. So on most of my cameras (which are mainly Pentaxen) I use aperture-priority mode, plus the very quick-to-use exposure compensation dial. Most of the time I'm using a Pentax ME, in which case it's aperture priority+exposure compensation, or nothing.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    [QUOTE=Ed Sukach;764766]Sorry about that. I seem to have lost my notification that you were now Boss, Pronouncer of Ultimate Truths, and Supreme Representative of ... ME!

LOL I'l make sure you get a copy of that memo. When will you have my TPS report ready?

Ya I was too matter-of-factly in my statement so I retract that. Sorry for the confusion.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    The sad fact for me, is that most manual modes besides the oldschool scale-matching systems are actually more confusing than liberating.........
    This is absolutely true. In current cameras, manual mode and metering is achieved as a sort of "work-around." Cameras like the Nikon FE were designed as manual cameras with the "auto" function as almost an add-on.

I use programme, aperture priority and shutter priority almost exclusively when shooting 35mm - except with studio strobes, where I use manual, of course. When I run film speed tests I use programme mode and vary the exposure via the compensation dial. In the field, it is the same meter - whether I use progamme, shutter priority or aperture priority.

I really don't feel I lose creativity because I use programme mode. A given situation requires one exposure. I decide whether it is the DoF or the shutter speed which is most important for that particular image. Whichever I choose, the other is what it has to be. I can't have a fast shutter speed and great DoF.

I'm a great believer in letting technology do for us what it can - AE, AF etc. That doesn't mean I submit to it because I retain ultimate control. (just don't tell the wife)

Bob H
    "Why is there always a better way?"

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kennedy View Post
    Just picked up a Pentax ESII & SMC Takumar 2.5/135mm lens in minty condition.Since the purchase was made locally I was able to check out the camera/lens combo before laying down my $.Nice to be able to kick the tires,so to speak.
    Besides shifting the depth of field is there any other way to be creative with the ESII?

Thank You
    Mike,
    You can be as creative with the ESII as you can with any camera, but being an aperture priority auto camera you just go about things in a slightly different way, selecting the aperture you want for the depth of field you need or selecting the appropriate aperture to force the camera to give you the shutter speed you need. The exposure compensation settings are useful at times but don't (ahem!) forget to reset the dial to (ahem!) 1X when you've done with the shot. Believe it or not, a friend of mine (cough!) once went on to shoot half a roll at 1/2X, 2X or whatever it was. You'd never catch me doing that.........
    Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    The sad fact for me, is that most manual modes besides the oldschool scale-matching systems are actually more confusing than liberating.

I use aperture priority 90% of the time because I don't have any cameras that have what i consider a good manual mode. A good manual mode is either a match-needle setup like the Canon AT-1/Olympus OM-1, or a match-LED setup like the Pentax LX. With a manual mode this good, there is no reason to use aperture priority mode. IMO many manual modes on auto-exposure cameras are tacked-on and too slow for anything but tripod use. LED scales (like my Nikon F801), numerical "+/-" readouts (Pentax Program A), or having to press buttons to match the meter (as on the Pentax ME Super) is too slow and just doesn't cut it. Even the F100's meter readout is too fiddly for me, despite the fast aperture and shutter dials. So on most of my cameras (which are mainly Pentaxen) I use aperture-priority mode, plus the very quick-to-use exposure compensation dial. Most of the time I'm using a Pentax ME, in which case it's aperture priority+exposure compensation, or nothing.
    Don't worry about it. You are fine. A priority mode used with EC/EI adjustments to obtain the desired settings entails the same basic thought process as does using manual mode. It is program mode that is the Devil, not priority modes. It can be used as a good tool, but can screw you in many, many situations. I have used program mode for three or four shots in my life, and it was just recently, since I just got my first camera that has the feature (an AE-1 Program). However, I only used it once in very good light with a fast film, so it had no possibility whatsoever of giving me a stupidly low shutter speed, and a few other times with a wide lens in almost no light in a night club, with the camera set on the edge of the stage pointing out into the audience. I used program mode simply in the interest of speed all of these cases, not because I actually believe it is a trustworthy option for constant use. However, even in program mode, you can set a shot to over or under expose by changing the EI.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 03-10-2009 at 06:32 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    35mm
    Aperture Priority and pre-focus. I use it most in street. I'm using Nikon EM. Until now, no one asking my camera setup.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin