Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,702   Posts: 1,482,650   Online: 668

View Poll Results: Which filters?

Voters
187. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yellow

106 56.68%
  • Orange

92 49.20%
  • Red

110 58.82%
  • Green

48 25.67%
  • Blue

19 10.16%
  • Warmtone

23 12.30%
  • Polarizer

125 66.84%
  • Neutral Gradient

58 31.02%
  • Other

52 27.81%
  • I do not usually use filters at all

16 8.56%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    With very few exceptions I always have a Nikon L37c with colour or the L39 filter with B&W as a standard set-up.

Usually though I have an orange on for most exterior building pictures, especially if there is stonework. I prefer the orange for landscapes in general, but not always.

Next filter that gets used a fair amount is light yellow for portraits, or if I need to bring out some clothing colours and/or texture, I use the yellow/green.

Next is the deep yellow and both light and deep green, they really can make a difference in B&W sometimes. The light green for portraits, has sometimes surprised me.

The polarising filter is probably the least used, but it is a killer when it is required I use it carefully.

I very rarely use a red filter, but I do have it in my bottom pocket just in case.

ND 2x / 4x / 8x.

With colour negative portrait work outdoors, I generally use an 81C in preference over the 81A.

Of late I have been fiddling with a soft spot on my 85 f1.4 Nikkor, shooting at f2.8 for interesting out of focus surrounds.

Mick.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Usually either a B+W Circ-Polarizer, or an R60, if I'm in B&W mode. Otherwise, I tend to shoot with my lenses naked.

-J
    APUG: F4, F3P, F2ASx2, F FTn, FM2n, Nikomat FT2, Nikkormat FT3 - all blk bodies
    DPUG: D200
    Nikkors: 18-70/3.5-4.5G AF-S DX (for DPUG), 28/3.5 H, 35/2 O, 35-135/3.5-4.5 AF, 50/1.4 S, 50/1.4 SC, 55/2.8 Micro AIS, 85/1.8 K, 180/2.8 ED AIS

My FB - My flickr stream

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    the main filter i use is a dirty window,
    but i don't think that counts as a filter ...

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Well it looks like the majority of posters said they use filters.. Do you feel they affect the sharpness/contrast of your images at all?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by darinwc View Post
    Well it looks like the majority of posters said they use filters.. Do you feel they affect the sharpness/contrast of your images at all?
    However it is likely that non-filter users did not even bother to look at the thread. What can be said is that of those who voted, the usage is as stated in the thread ...

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Neutral density on the SX70, a red filter and, a polarizer for everything from reducing reflections to darkening sky/water or as a ND filter in a pinch. I have a bunch more (more b&w filters, some special effects and a few colour correction filters) but I always gravitate toward these three.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    WTF??? What about yellow-green ? Hoya XO (Wratten #11 equivalent). My favorite and most-used one, though I rarely use filters.

I clicked yellow, orange, red, green, blue, and I do not usually use filters at all. I have these filters, and have used them in the past, but do not use them frequently.

I use all Hoya HMC filters and have not ever noticed an image degradation compared to a non-filtered pic. I like them because they are good and fairly reasonably priced. Looking around the Web, it seems Ken Rockwell thinks so too...and he and I usually see eye to eye; at least in what I have read on his site so far.

For color, 80A and 82B are my most commonly used filters, and sometimes 85B as well.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 03-09-2009 at 01:51 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Yellow-green? I didnt even know that was a color =] seriously what is it for?

Siruis: true

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by darinwc View Post
    How many of you use filters?
    Which ones and how often?
    Cokin #1 diffuser lives in my darkroom bag not camera bag good for enlarging.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When needed, I use polarizing, neutral density, graduated neutral density, color correction, and special effect filters.

I use glass, acetate, and plastic filters.

I only use protective UV/haze filters when I am shooting in a hostile environment.

The last time I used a filter was during the holidays when I used a special effects starburst filter to shoot Christmas lights.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin