Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,218   Posts: 1,532,171   Online: 1012

View Poll Results: Which filters?

Voters
187. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yellow

106 56.68%
  • Orange

92 49.20%
  • Red

110 58.82%
  • Green

48 25.67%
  • Blue

19 10.16%
  • Warmtone

23 12.30%
  • Polarizer

125 66.84%
  • Neutral Gradient

58 31.02%
  • Other

52 27.81%
  • I do not usually use filters at all

16 8.56%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

How many of you use filters?

Which ones and how often?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I have lots of filters, but the ones I use most frequently are yellow, orange, and a polarizer, occasionally a grad, warming filters and color correction filters when I shoot color, but I only ticked off the ones I use often in the poll.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I most commonly use a C-Polariser in rainforests (to reduce spectrals), warmtone in shaded environments with RVP and skylight 1B for seaside imaging. There are also red, yellow and green B&W filters and a tiny Wratten rear-slot skylight filter for my 17-40 lens.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Multi Format

The filters I use

Quote Originally Posted by darinwc View Post
    Which ones and how often?

The filters I use are: UV/skylight, polarizing, and enhancing (didymium, red).

UV/skylight: mainly to protect the front element from scuffs or scratches (although I also like the warmth the skylight gives to my colour prints.

I have read many threads/posts arguing the benefits/disadvantages of using these particular filters: why the "advantages" are illusory and the disadvantages real. However, lately I have been collecting/examining (in a small way) numbers of veteran lenses and cameras, and it becomes very obvious which lenses have had the benefit of a filter to protect them from the ravages of time and which have not. This experience has -I'm afraid- entrenched me very firmly in the pro-filter camp, sorry.

Polarizing: I love the colour-saturation and blue sky-effect this filter produces. I dislike the "reveal all the crap at the bottom of the lake/stream/water" effect, and the elimination of the sparkle from water surfaces.

However, used appropriately, I find it quite good to have -as another option.

Another use -I find- is to reduce the SBR where skies are involved (brings it within the film's dynamic range (er.., latitude).

The Didymium filter is great in shots of autumn foliage, as it enhances all the warm tones, especially the reds.

I have some neutral density and soft-focus filters also, but haven't got around to using them, so far.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'm thinking starting a 'P' set for my RB67 (o/ 77mm)
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    90% of all my filter work (for black and white) is done with an orange and or polariser filter. I also own a yellow, green, and deep red filter, but use these rarely. It's always fun to dream of all the filters that you'd love to own, but when it comes down to carrying them, remembering filter factors, then add in step up rings, it can become too much. Keep it simple.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    How is a red-enhancing filter different from a warmtone?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I usally use filters for B&W. Once a while I might use one for color.

Jeff

Shooter
    35mm
    I never used filters. I am thinking of using the polarizer but I haven't even use it yet.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    A didymium enhancing filter is supposed to enhance the warm tones selectively without changing the cool tones like a warming filter would do. The effect can get kind of wacky, but sometimes it works.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin