Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,924   Posts: 1,522,105   Online: 801

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Hello,

When I bought my Sony Alpha 700, I bought a cheap Minolta 24-85 variable aperture zoom for about $45 at KEH. I have since bought a Maxxum 9000 and shoot it most of the time with this lens at the 24mm position. It's a great little lens and is wide enough for me. Not sure if it would be enough of a difference for you or not from 28mm.

If you want to know how wide is wide enough without buying a few lenses to check (Minolta wides seem to be rare these days at places like KEH - thanks a lot Sony...), you might get try of the cheap ridiculously wide Sony kit zooms from your local camera store. Put it on your camera and try it there. Whatever looks "right" is the width you need to seek in a prime.
    Jeff M

M3, M5, CLE, Minolta XE7, Minolta Maxxum 9, Minolta Maxxum 9000, Nikon F3HP, etc., etc.

Shooter
    35mm
    Is it worth the extra money for the zoom lenses that are a stop greater, like a 20-35 at F2.8 versus a 19-35 or 17-35 at F3.5-4.5? And if so, is the 20 then going to be wide enough instead of the 17? So many little things seem to be adding up hah.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    I had 35mm, 28mm and 20mm lenses for my Minoltas. I got rid of the 35mm because it was too close to the normal lens.
    Steve
    A 35mm IS a normal lens...
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Rol_Lei Nut View Post
    No, my normals were 50mm and 58mm lenses.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm
    Any more suggestions about the aperatures? Just checking before i buy something.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Rol_Lei Nut View Post
    Not unless you are shooting APS-C digital.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by sage View Post
    Any more suggestions about the aperatures? Just checking before i buy something.
    i've got both the minolta af 20/2.8 and the 24/2.8 and i don't particularly prefer one over the other. You'd be better off working out what you are going to use the lens for and whether you are prepared to put in the extra effort necessary to effectively use the 20mm ie manual focussing, hyperfocussing and all that stuff.....grin

wayne

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wayne naughton View Post
    i've got both the minolta af 20/2.8 and the 24/2.8 and i don't particularly prefer one over the other. You'd be better off working out what you are going to use the lens for and whether you are prepared to put in the extra effort necessary to effectively use the 20mm ie manual focussing, hyperfocussing and all that stuff.....grin

wayne
    HPF (hyperfocus) application is not a usual requisite for ultra-wide angles of which 20mm is a member. Such optics already have very significant depth of field and depth of focus.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sage View Post
    Is it worth the extra money for the zoom lenses that are a stop greater, like a 20-35 at F2.8 versus a 19-35 or 17-35 at F3.5-4.5? And if so, is the 20 then going to be wide enough instead of the 17? So many little things seem to be adding up hah.
    "A stop greater" is actually a stop slower in terms of Av (aperture).
    I think you are going to need a few years' experience of application with, for a start, 20mm, before going down to e.g. 17mm or below. The former is a fine optic and will teach you the need to be careful with spatial arrangement of subject matter (including perspective). The latter takes this a few steps further where composition and spatial arrangement need to be considered very carefully, especially in the small 35mm format. A lens with a variable aperture of (your e.g.) 17-35 f3.5-4.5 is likely to suffer significant optical flaws by design compared to a prime, unless you gun for the more expensive fixed-aperture optics that are usually highly corrected for chroma, astigmatism, curvature and distorion among (in no particular order). Should you be worried about this now? No. Just kit up with a 20mm f2.8, leave zooms until much later and take that optic on a journey of discovery. Finally, a 20mm f2.8 is my second-favourite optic to the PC 24mm prime.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by StorminMatt View Post
    Not unless you are shooting APS-C digital.
    Aaaarrrrrghh! Never!

I just find using 50mm as a "normal" a little too uptight...
    35mm Sees the World the way I do.
    :-)
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin