Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,043   Posts: 1,560,858   Online: 1203

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    cmo
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rol_Lei Nut View Post
    What's so difficult about finding a reliable bicycle? Haven't had a flat in about a decade, thanks to kevlar...
    I did not say I don't have one. I said it's one thing you really need. Good tires that can not be punctured are a godsend...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cmo View Post
    I did not say I don't have one. I said it's one thing you really need. Good tires that can not be punctured are a godsend...
    I'll toast to that!

Bicycles (and nice cameras) should be the main factors taken into consideration when quality-of-life indexes are calculated...
    :-)
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    35mm
    Getting a Contarex working and getting the lenses for it serviced may be more trouble than it's worth. I suggest that you instead get a Canon F-1 or F-1n along with some nice Canon FD lenses. You can get them all overhauled by Essex Camera Service in Carlsadt, NJ and you will have a flexible system which will work nicely for years. Then you can get a copy of the Zeiss Compendium and a copy of Ivor Matanle's Collecting and Using Classic SLRs. The Canon equipment will allow you to take some nice pictures without too much aggravation and the books will allow you to enjoy reading about the Contarex cameras and to see nice photos of them. If you need some extra nostalgia you can look for the early Canon FD lenses which have the chrome front design.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Paraphrasing a recent post:

"The camera you are interested in isn't worth thinking about. I suggest that you instead get [The camera I have] along with some nice [Lenses I have]. You can get them all overhauled by [Some Guy] in [Somewhere close to where I live] and you will have a flexible system which will work nicely for years. You should only buy a book about and dream of the system you are interested in, since [The camera I have] is the only one worth using."

And they say Leica users are abnoxious...
    ;-)
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Quote Originally Posted by dynachrome View Post
    Getting a Contarex working and getting the lenses for it serviced may be more trouble than it's worth. I suggest that you instead get a Canon F-1 or F-1n along with some nice Canon FD lenses. You can get them all overhauled by Essex Camera Service in Carlsadt, NJ and you will have a flexible system which will work nicely for years. Then you can get a copy of the Zeiss Compendium and a copy of Ivor Matanle's Collecting and Using Classic SLRs. The Canon equipment will allow you to take some nice pictures without too much aggravation and the books will allow you to enjoy reading about the Contarex cameras and to see nice photos of them. If you need some extra nostalgia you can look for the early Canon FD lenses which have the chrome front design.
    I have all of the above and the Leicas too. The Leica R3 is erratic on automatic, one Canon F1 has bouncing curtain from bad brakes, and one camera serviced by (some guy) is now unrepairable.
    The only problem I have had with a Contarex was a mirror problem which Henry Scherer rectified and lubed the camera. That being said I would not subject one to pro use but an Edsel owner would want one.
    But then again I have and drive an 18 year old Toyota Previa.
    And the 85mm lens shown in the Zeiss Compendium is mine.
    Mark Layne
    Nova Scotia
    and Barbados

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Layne View Post
    . . . If you can afford it ask Henry Scherer to help you get one. On no account must the top cover be removed in the uncocked state. You are better off with a camera that no 2bit technician has ever been near.
    Mark
    Good luck - Henry's waiting list now spans two years. I hope you're not in a hurry!

Shooter
    35mm

Zeiss Contarex Bullseye

I didn't mean to insult anyone who is interested in a Contarex. Do I have a Canon F-1 and Canon FD lenses? I have several Canon F-1s and many Canon FD lenses. My point was not that only Canon equipment is suitable. I also have Nikon and Minolta and Pentax and Olympus and Konica cameras as well as many others. One of my F-1 bodies needed service for the shutter brake about a year after it was overhauled. That body will turn 40 in about two years and I use it regularly. A Nikkormat with some Nikkor lenses or an SRT-101 with some Rokkor lenses would also be nice. Why? Because they are easier to get serviced, capable of good results and easier to find reasonably priced lenses for. Essex Cameraa Service is not "some guy." It is a well known camera repair service with many years of experience. I am just lucky enough to live close enough to drive to them. Over the years they have brought many cameras and lenses back to life for me.

If I had the patience I might like a Contarex SE with the bellows and the 115mm bellows macro lens. I don't know whether this lens would be any sharper than the 100/4 Canon New FD or 90/2.5 Vivitar Series 1 or 100/4 Minolta Bellows Rokkor-X lenses I have but it would be fun to use.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    If you want the Zeiss/Zeiss Ikon SLR experience without the pain, you could try the Yashica/Kyocera Contax or a Rolleiflex SL 35. Oh wait -- I said without the pain. Better remove the Rolleiflex from that list ... at least the bodies made in Singapore.

Some of the Carl Zeiss lenses were also available in the Rolleiflex QBM, and they tend to be slightly lower priced than their Contarex counterparts. Not all of the lenses are available in the QBM. You just have to find a working body. The SL 35 M seems to be semi-reliable, as well as the SL 35, which is a very basic body.

The lenses for the Y/K Contax were expensive when new and are still expensive today. Many of the Contarex lenses were released in Y/K Contax mount, but I can't recall which ones.

Shooter
    35mm

Zeiss Contarex Bullseye

I recently bought two Yashica FX3 cameras and two 50/2 Yashica ML lenses. I know that these are Cosina made cameras and in that sense not even real Yashicas. Last week I ordered new skin for one FX3. My goal is to recover one of the bodies and have it overhauled. After that I will look for a 50/1.7 or 50/1.4 Zeiss lens in Y/C mount. If I enjoy the Zeiss experience I may then find a suitable Contax SLR body. Somewhere in a box I think I have both a Vivitar TX adapter and a Tamron Adaptall II adapter for the Y/C mount. These will give me a selection of focal lengths and zooms to try while I look at Zeiss lenses.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For what it's worth, I have and enjoy using all kinds of "klunky" systems...the Zeiss Contaflex being among them. If I was going strictly for ease of use I would stick with Nikon/Canon/Minolta/Pentax. I absolutely love shooting with the Contaflex, and this week I've been shooting with my Voigtlander Prominent (not the single most user friendly camera ever made.) I freely admit that visual aesthetics matter to me with regards to cameras--I mean, we are all trying for aesthetically pleasing results from the camera, why not the camera itself? It is all intertwined for me. The added bonus to the Bullseye is that the lenses are supposed to be pretty damn good. I appreciate all the responses, it will help me decide how to proceed.
    Matt
    --------------------
    "Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it." -Paul Strand

www.glasskeyphoto.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin