Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 72,515   Posts: 1,598,187   Online: 807

Thread: Leica R3

Leica R3

Anybody had a problem with a Leica R3/Minolta XE-7 which has erratic shutter speeds when set on 'automatic'?
    Mark
    Mark Layne
    Nova Scotia
    and Barbados

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Layne View Post
    Anybody had a problem with a Leica R3/Minolta XE-7 which has erratic shutter speeds when set on 'automatic'?
    Mark
    What does "erratic" mean? Wrong speeds giving bad exposure or the shutter not running properly and giving uneven exposure? I have 3 examples of R3, they were virtually identical insofar as they had been amateur owned and looked after well, were cosmetically in mint condition, had not been used for a long time and needed servicing to deal with the same 2 problems, firstly perished door seals, and secondly a dirty (oxidized) commutator ring that transferred aperture values and resulted in the meter giving around 2 stops over-exposure. At no time did I have a shutter sticking or running unevenly, although I am sure this is possible. If your camera is like mine, all the problems are caused by lack of use rather than wear or component failure, which means that a CLA will cure them all!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Especially the early "R"s were prone to electronic problems...

While most of the "dodgy" one have long been fixed by now, it is (was) the typical problem for these cameras.
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi,
    I've had two R3's. They always used to work perfectly.
    Then I switched to a R8. After a few years in the closet both R3's had developed this problem.

Cheers,

Michiel Fokkema

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I Have a XE-7, no troubles, yet.
    "Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once and a while, you might just miss it."
    Ferris Bueller

Quote Originally Posted by michiel fokkema View Post
    Hi,
    I've had two R3's. They always used to work perfectly.
    Then I switched to a R8. After a few years in the closet both R3's had developed this problem.

Cheers,

Michiel Fokkema
    Yes I think the closet has been part of the problem, but it has not been stored anywhere damp. I don't suppose exercising she thing is going to help any.
    I really like good old chrome and brass cameras
    Mark Layne
    Nova Scotia
    and Barbados

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bill View Post
    I Have a XE-7, no troubles, yet.
    I must check my XE-7 again. I seem to remember querying something on that shutter too
    Mark Layne
    Nova Scotia
    and Barbados

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin