Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,873   Posts: 1,583,554   Online: 888

Shooter
    35mm

Will a Sunpak Auto 555 fry my N80?

I am curious to know if my Sunpak Auto 555 handle-mount flash will fry the electronics of my N80? I plan to connect the flash to an inexpensive hotshoe adapter with a built-in PC Sync terminal. I have read different opinions on the possible damage this flash can cause to my camera. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Shooter
    35mm
    I cannot speak for your combination, but back in 1997 I was there and I did that. I had an old Metz flash and I attached it to my brand new F70 (N70). The flash still works (I gave it to a friend) but the high voltage fried the electronics of the F70, which became useless and was sold as scrap.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Phormula View Post
    I cannot speak for your combination, but back in 1997 I was there and I did that. I had an old Metz flash and I attached it to my brand new F70 (N70). The flash still works (I gave it to a friend) but the high voltage fried the electronics of the F70, which became useless and was sold as scrap.
    That is exactly what I am afraid of! I have read suggestions about getting a Wein safe sync voltage regulator to prevent the flash from sending too many volts to the camera. I am not sure how it works, but I will be doing some more reasearch before trying the 555 on my N80. If the Wein works well I would like to also use my Vivitar 285HV as well.

Shooter
    35mm
    I would like to try a 555 with one of my Minolta X-700s. I have three 280PX and one 360PX but the 555 has some nice accessories and should be stronger than the 360PX.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Check this site. But regardless of what other people say, I would use a Safe-sync or a Pocket Wizard.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't know the tolerance of the N80 (I should... I own one) but the 555 is on the lower end of the spectrum of trigger voltages.

I used this chart when I bought my 383 Super.

http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html

[edit] resummerfield beat me to it.
    Cheers,
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by resummerfield View Post
    Check this site. But regardless of what other people say, I would use a Safe-sync or a Pocket Wizard.
    yes ...

if you have friends in the repair biz
    ask them to test the tv of your flash
    so you know what the output is ..

good luck!
    john

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I fully agree !

What a safe sync does is bringing the sync voltage down to about 6V, safe for all camera's.

Peter

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I just got a Metz 45 CT-1 for use on my RB67, and in all the excitement decided to try it on my DSLR. It worked and the results were good, but I quickly remembered older flashes can cause damage. I did some looking and found that site you listed up there, says the Metz I have puts out like 600V OUCH!!!!

Well the 10D is still working but I wonder if I caused any damage? I sent an email to Canon to see what they say about it as well as my Elan 7E.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good morning;

An interesting topic. In looking at the chart accessed through the link provided, I have some electronic strobe flash units that are not mentioned in that chart. Time to get out the DVM and measure the flash trigger circuit voltages for the samples in my stable.
    Enjoy;

Ralph Javins, Latte Land, Washington

When they ask you; "How many Mega Pixels you got in your camera?"
    just tell them; "I use activated silver bromide crystals tor my image storage media."

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin