Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,537   Posts: 1,646,133   Online: 789

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Even a phrase like "the Japanese" gets under my skin. "The Japanese people" or "Japanese people" just sounds about one percent as ignorantly hickish, as stereotyping, and as racist to me.

Sounds just like when people say "the gays," "the blacks," or "the Jews."
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 06-16-2011 at 11:17 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by puptent View Post
    I didn't read this thread from the beginning, shame on me, but the Minolta brand lives on in Sony. In one of those corporate feeding frenzies, Minolta ended up digested by Sony, and the Current Sony Alpha digi cam could very well have been branded Minolta. Minolta is a proud and respected maker of camera gear. The things I like about the Olympus OM system, exist in some measure, in the Minolta SLR family. I'm just saying that any Minolta in functioning condition would be a keeper for me...
    Digested only after being raped by Konica.

Its funny how people get upset about the term jap, but don't say anything when Americans are called yankees?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by fstop View Post
    Digested only after being raped by Konica.

Its funny how people get upset about the term jap, but don't say anything when Americans are called yankees?
    I'm American and I'm not bothered by being called a Yankee. On the other hand, I've never heard of a baseball team called the Japs.
    When the chips are down,

The buffalo is empty!!!

Shooter
    35mm
    Yankee is actually originally a term to describe the Dutch of New Amsterdam (now renamed New York) which, as the common place wants, were supposed to be avid cheese eaters, more or less "Jan Kees", Johnny Cheese, or so I read somewhere. So it's actually a term to describe collectively a foreign community, and the term can have, or not have, a disparaging overtone depending on place, epoch, context, mood and personality. It's probably more the result of an "us and them" attitude that, I think, it's not necessarily disparaging, or does not necessarily originate from a need to be disparaging, although it can easily be used in such a way if both speakers feel the urge of being disparaging.
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    35mm
    I consider it derogatory and if someone calls me a yankee I am offended and I expect an apology.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by fstop View Post
    I consider it derogatory and if someone calls me a yankee I am offended and I expect an apology.

Oh dear more PC nonsense ...well I object to Americans calling the people of the UK..."Brits" and "limeys"

Shooter
    35mm
    So if an American is offended its pc nonsense, but if anyone else its a racial slur?

If the abbreviation for Japan bothers you, I would suggest to stay off the motorcycle forums...

Back on topic, the SRT -101 has a couple variants, the best one has the MLU feature.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Wow, the filtering system really does work!

For a comment associated with the original question posed, I took one of mine out on a short tripod just yesterday with the MACRO ROKKOR-QF 1:3.5 f=50mm lens on it to take some photographs of the flowers around the house. The Right Angle Finder on the viewport of the viewfinder really does help. I still like this mechanical Minolta SLR camera.
    Enjoy;

Ralph Javins, Latte Land, Washington

When they ask you; "How many Mega Pixels you got in your camera?"
    just tell them; "I use activated silver bromide crystals tor my image storage media."

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin