Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,504   Posts: 1,543,461   Online: 936

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Minolta SRT101 - Any good?

Hi

Been given a Minolta SRT101 body with an Minolta MC Rokkor-PF f1.7 lens from my Aunt who used to do photography back in the 60's.

She also gave me Minolta SR-3 with f1.4 lens.

Are either of them any good (in terms of camera quality) or should I sell it or even throw it out?

Ted
    Ted Smith Photography
    Hasselblad 501CM...my 2nd love.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    They were excellent cameras the Chinese even made copies up until quite recently. It's worth using or selling they were amongst the first decent Japanese SLR's to be sold in the UK in the early 60's.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The Minolta SRT cameras are great mechanical cameras. The lenses are also very good. You probably won't get much by selling them but don't throw them out. Load them up with film and try shooting with them. The results will tell you how good the cameras are. If you decide you don't want them, I am sure someone on this site will offer to take them off your hands. I like shooting with a camera that is all mechanical. John

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    whatever you do, don't throw 'em out....send them down here if nobody wants them...grin. I still use mine.

wayne

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    They were excellent cameras the Chinese even made copies up until quite recently. It's worth using or selling they were amongst the first decent Japanese SLR's to be sold in the UK in the early 60's.

Ian
    I sold these as a kid in my Dad's camera store in Surrey. We used to put all the processing that was delivered overnight into small albums, (the type with the slits for each corner). We'd get to the shop at 5 - 5:30 am to do this. I vividly recall starting one package and stopping to show my father what great quality the photos were. We checked the name and it was a customer who'd recently purchased a 101 from us. The fact that these prints, out of probably 70 or 80 films, stood out to a teenager at 5:30 on a Saturday morning tells me more about the quality of this camera and the Rokkor lenses than any advertising hype!!

Bob H
    "Why is there always a better way?"

Shooter
    Medium Format
    P.S. Ted
    My sister lives in Pentrich, (Nr. Alfreton) - She and her husband'll be in The Dog or The Butchers if you need to contact her!!

(And she'' kill me if she ever reads this!!!!)

Bob
    "Why is there always a better way?"

Shooter
    35mm
    They are both fine cameras. The 101 needs the zinc air 1.3v battery but they are pretty easy to find. They DO go out of calibration, so these two might need a CLA. Test the slower shutter speeds by ear, check to be sure the shutters are opening and closing properly, and give them a try.

They may lead you down the path to "the greatest manual focus 35mm SLR ever made" the Minolta X-700. They were still being made as late as 1999, which is when I bought one of mine.
    In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Is the 1.4 with the SR-3 a 58mm? Amazing, quirky lens, at least the one I picked up recently is. Sharp, but with relatively low contrast (suspect flare) and will produce every artifact in the book, including "donuts" with distant light souces that suggest a mirror lens.
    I've been given 2 in recent years, an srT201 and a nice black 101. The latter came with 35 2.8, 50 1.7 and135 3.5. Sadly the lenses the lenses were all gummed up for lack of use. The cameras were working fine except for the dead meters. Is that common to old Minoltas?

Shooter
    35mm
    Common in that era is to use a non-voltage regulated CdS cell for the metering system. Non-voltage regulated meant they relied on the constant voltage of a mercury cell which are no longer available. Alkaline are not quite as consistent. CdS cells don't have the same longevity as current silicon. I recently replaced the dying CdS cell in my 1972 vintage F2 for another 40+ years of usage.

I believe the SRT101 required mercury cells, which you may need to use hearing aid batteries or get one of those Gossin adaptors, or else use on an external light meter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    this is so nice to hear! I got a SRT101 in a box of cameras from an estate auction a year or so ago....haven't used it much, but it's always great to use a good mechanical SLR for a change

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin