Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,514   Posts: 1,543,681   Online: 856

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The scary thing is that for LF, I keep track of what lenses get used each time I am out, so I can see which lenses get the most use on what formats. I am currently shooting 35 mm since the wind has been blowing here lately.
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Make sure you really like the camera before using it exclusively for a month. A good test for me is taking it overseas on Summer vacation. So far the only camera that has survived that has been my IIIf.
    Those who know, shoot film

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I usually carry the same lens combo 50 & 28mm on my Pentax K1000 or KX, Canon AE-1 or FTB, Nikon F100 bodies. This month I used the Pentax KX. I think 28mm gets used the most AFAIC.
    Mihai Costea

"There's more to the picture
    Than meets the eye." - Neil Young

Galleries:My PN & My APUG

Shooter
    35mm
    I do this, but I've been doing it for most of my photo life, not just for a month.

I've been shooting with the same SLR for over ten years now and I've got three lenses. I've had other ancillary cameras (Holgas, Polaroid, pinhole etc) but the SLR does my 'serious' stuff, I've never owned two or more camera systems.

I'm an avid fan of Bengt Björkbom's blog and he once quoted Christer Strömholm saying "one camera, one lens, one film, one developer", Bengt came down in favour of a Leica with a 35mm and presumably Tri-x.

I've been fascinated by that statement of Strömholm's and have increasingly found the need to confront it. I've always admired those who create great photos with the minimal amount of fuss about gear, but getting there is an uphill battle for me. A battle against material and mental clutter as well as sore shoulders from lugging around too much stuff.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've been shooting with the same SLR for over ten years now and I've got three lenses. I've had other ancillary cameras (Holgas, Polaroid, pinhole etc) but the SLR does my 'serious' stuff, I've never owned two or more camera systems.
    I see where you are coming from and I fully agree. Using one camera-one lens-one film-one developer definitely forces you to discipline and be more creative. You have to understand us too... we have GAS, we are really sick we are PEOPLE too
    Mihai Costea

"There's more to the picture
    Than meets the eye." - Neil Young

Galleries:My PN & My APUG

Shooter
    35mm
    I have those GAS urges too! Two things that have helped me keep gear under control: low finances and constantly moving house.

I'd love to try the "one camera, one lens, one film, one developer" thing in full, but I'm not brave enough to sell two of my three lenses.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I would sell my entire Nikon setup for a Leica M6 and 50mm F2
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Ever since I had a split-image screen put in, I've been using my Spotmatic II and a Super Takumar 50mm f/1.4 almost exclusively. I carry a Mamiya/Sekor 28mm f/2.8 and a Vivitar 135mm f/2.8 but don't use them much at all.

Before that, my "one" camera was a Yashica 35 GSN. I only moved to the Spotmatic because I needed to use up some Delta 3200 and the GSN's meter wouldn't go that high. Same with my Canonet.

I've been thinking about switching to my Hassy 500c/m as my walking around camera, but damn I hate to have that much money in a bag that gets bumped around like my walking around bag does.

mjs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Keep in mind that a television crew isn't following you around, so any time you decide that what you're doing isn't working for you, you can change it. So if you decide two weeks into the project that you really don't like that particular camera or lens, you can change it and no one will be the wiser!

My favorite 35mm lens used to be just a bit longer than normal -- the Minolta 58mm lens. Lovely, lovely lens. But I decided to carry just a 28mm around with me for a while, just to make me do something different, find new solutions to problems. That was interesting and I've taken more of a liking to wider lenses as a result of that. I don't think that it would hurt any of us to try something different on occasion.

That was the genesis of my current project -- I bought a small, inexpensive point & shoot because I wanted to have a camera which I could use unconsciously. I wanted something small enough that it could always be in my pocket, ready to go, simple enough that I didn't need to think about anything but composition (and accepting the accidents and failures resulting from having no control over the exposure other than when to press the shutter button,) and see what happens. After a couple of weeks I don't think I'm going through the entire summer (or even spring) with it, but it has given me some insights. The camera I turn to most often is an 8x10 view camera, which requires thought when using it. I sort of figured a P&S would be about as opposite as I could get.

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Markok765 View Post
    I would sell my entire Nikon setup for a Leica M6 and 50mm F2

wow marko

that is kind of drastic, you just bought it, didn't you ?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin