Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,930   Posts: 1,585,369   Online: 979

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Markok765 View Post
    I would sell my entire Nikon setup for a Leica M6 and 50mm F2
    That wouldn't be wise IMHO. Sounds to me a bit like Magic bullit chasing. I have been there (though not buying a Leica) and spend a lot of money to get the perfect camera buying and selling a lot of great gear. That didn't do anything for my photography. Though Leicas are great cameras they have their limitations too so you'll probably end up missing your Nikon and buy another one. Keep your Nikon use it for now and add a RF later be it a Leica, Cosina Voigtländer or a Zeiss.
    Kind regards
    Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Technology distinquishable from magic is insufficiently developed

Søren Nielsen
    Denmark

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    This is what I've pretty much done ever since I came back to film seriously with a TLR. For several years I only shot with the normal focal length (80mm on my Mamiya and 150 on my 4x5), even including a trip to the Himalayas. I'd ordered a wider lens for my trip but it didn't arrive in time, and it was probably the best thing that could have happened to my advancement. I shot the whole trip on one focal length, and largely (except for 2 rolls of slides), one film too.

When I got home my wide lens for the Mamiya was waiting for me (arrived 2 days after I left, grr), and after sticking it on I feel like I've found something pretty special. It's a 45mm so around 28mm equiv, and it just seems to suit my style so perfectly. I haven't taken it off the camera since I put it on back late december. So much do I enjoy it and feel comfortable with it I've just ordered a 90mm for my 4x5.

I know there's different learning methods for different people, but for me I wouldn't say using one focal length is a limit, it actually makes things a lot easier and more rewarding, and my photos seem to reflect this ease by largely being 'better'.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Markok765 View Post
    I would sell my entire Nikon setup for a Leica M6 and 50mm F2
    Leica is good, but if you're limited on your budget, it's not a good choice. Why not choose a Nikon new FM2 or something similar instead and keep using your 50mm Nikkor lens?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by perkeleellinen View Post
    I've been shooting with the same SLR for over ten years now and I've got three lenses. I've had other ancillary cameras (Holgas, Polaroid, pinhole etc) but the SLR does my 'serious' stuff, I've never owned two or more camera systems.
    I agree. it's been a long time since I had two camera systems. I have the original Fm2 with two lens, a rb67 system with lot of lens, a new m645 system, my c220, the 5x7 B&J, and now the Deardorff 8x10.

I still don't have a problem figuring out what to shoot with. Whatever feels right for the idea I have on any particular day.

On the other hand, I spent years with just the FM2 with two prime lens, and the C220 with just a 65mm lens for my mf stuff. When I felt like getting serious, I would pull out the 4x5 Speed, but that doesn't count as a 'system' does it?

Shoot with the Nikon. When you are ready for something bigger, you'll know.

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you are not happy with the the pictures you are able to take with your Nikon F5, ask yourself why they will be any better with a Leica M6 ?
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    If you are not happy with the the pictures you are able to take with your Nikon F5, ask yourself why they will be any better with a Leica M6 ?
    Thats easy. The magic of the Leica. The Leica glow. All the great street shooters use Leica and just look at their pics

It is very difficult "to think rational" when you have that little bug in your mind and really don't have much to compare with. Years ago I sold of two Sigma lenses (24mm and 105mm Macro) because I got convinced they weren't good enough and though they weren't among the sharpest they were actually well above the quality treshold and looking back I see that many of my best shots are done with those two.
    Kind regards
    Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Technology distinquishable from magic is insufficiently developed

Søren Nielsen
    Denmark

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The small size, the RF, the promise that, with a CLA every 5-10 years, it will last for the rest of my life, and the quality.
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by k_jupiter View Post
    I would pull out the 4x5 Speed, but that doesn't count as a 'system' does it?
    why is the 4x5 speed not a system? I just got one two months ago to enter the LF arena, don't tell me is not a system.

Shooter
    35mm
    I have a pair of Nikon F3HP's, and the F3HP is pretty much the only camera that I use (my Nikon FA pretty much just sits in its' bag), so does that count as "1 camera for a month?"..
    Dann Fassnacht
    Aberdeen, WA USA

glockman99@hotmail.com
    -------------------------------------
    My film cameras are all Nikons: F3HP, F4s, N90s, N8008, N8008s.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jaimeb82 View Post
    why is the 4x5 speed not a system? I just got one two months ago to enter the LF arena, don't tell me is not a system.

*L*
    A Speed with two lens is a system. A Speed with one lens is a camera.

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin